Auto-type feature in new Windows app [coming in a future update]

2»

Comments

• I don't think anyone is claiming Type in Window is the same as auto-type, @benjamint. Mike even specifically laid out the very fundamental differences between the two in an early reply to this thread. That said, it is the closest thing available right now and with auto-type itself wearing some fairly varied hats for different people, there certainly could be some scenarios where it fits the bill. I even found myself finally using it on my Surface recently to work around my utter lack of familiarity with Windows' implementation of a touch interface, much to my surprise (I never even used auto-type all that much). Anyway, it does fill in some gaps and is worth knowing about, but definitely not something I'd personally cite as a full replacement. We do want to implement true auto-type when we're able to take the time to do it right. I don't know when that will be, but I certainly have my fingers crossed that's sooner rather than later. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@benjamint: My comment to someone else last year, regarding 1Password 7, was this:

This Windows app did not even exist in 2014. The one we had at that time did have an Auto-Type feature.

That's a true statement, but I apologize that it cause (future-)you some confusion more than a year later. That wasn't my intention. Have a good weekend. :)

• phdoe
    phdoe
    Community Member
    edited August 2019

Still no news about the implementation date?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Not yet @phdoe, but it will come in a future update, so keep an eye on the release notes ;)

• phdoe
    phdoe
    Community Member

Still no news on this one?

• No news on auto-type specifically, but the latest beta did introduce drag and drop which is a fair bit closer to auto-type than type in window, in my opinion. Still misses the mark in that it can't be triggered by a keyboard shortcut, but it's a significant step forward in requiring fewer steps and being a bit more reliable in what it's able to fill vs. type in window. I'd certainly suggest giving it a go if you're up for installing the beta. Otherwise, hang tight and we'll share news just as soon as we have any, @phdoe. :+1:

• metrickstar
    metrickstar
    Community Member

@bundtkate I do not want to be rude or something, but I am sure, you know, that drag and drop is not what this thread is about. I would prefer clear and fair communication about this one. Instead of "No, BUT have a look at this feature".

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@metrickstar: We do not have any news about Auto-Type, we would post them, if we had them.

There are other higher priority tasks that we have on our plate at the moment and they are taking longer than expected. If you are interested in what they are, you can see the list of changes for the 7.4.738-BETA (available now) here.

We are working really hard to make 1Password for Windows better and Auto-Type is still on our list.

Let us know if you have other questions, we are here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• sergioms
    sergioms
    Community Member

Any update on this feature? I have an enterprise subscription but I won't migrate my personal account from KeePass until auto-type is implemented since it's the main and most useful feature that I use several times a day.

Please provide an ETA.

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2020

@sergioms: I understand this is an important feature to you, but we do not an ETA on the this feature at the moment.

We are always working hard to improve 1Password and are hoping to re-implement features like this in the future.

This discussion has been closed.