App on Mac refuses Master Password

MidlandNick
MidlandNick
Community Member

I just upgraded to Family. iOS apps, 1Password.com (Safari) access work. But when we try to sign in using the Mac app - on the newly added Mac - the Master Password is refused. Sometimes a hint appears: "First name", which makes no sense. It would be nice to have the app working...suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:App on Mac will not accept Master Password.

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020

@MidlandNick

Please try your previous Master Password as in the one you had prior to moving to a membership. It sounds as if the Primary vault is remaining on this machine. With a Primary vault in place, 1Password will unlock with the Master Password associated with that vault. Once you remove the Primary vault, you can unlock 1Password with the Master Password that you set up during your account signup.

Verify all of your data has been moved to the Personal vault and then remove the Primary.

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

It's also a great time to make doubly sure that you have saved your Emergency Kit. https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

• MidlandNick
    MidlandNick
    Community Member

I moved to a Membership a couple of years ago; the transition was a mess, but I eventually straightened things out. There is no indication that a Primary vault is present on my Mac. My wife's Mac is new to 1Password, so there can be no residual files. We just upgraded my Membership to Family. She can access the shared account through Safari/1Password.com, using a Master PW assigned by 1Password. Ditto iOS apps on iPad and iPhone. The problem arises when we download/install the Mac app on her machine, and it will not accept her assigned password (nor my current one). I tried an old PW of mine, which also didn't work, on either her Mac or mine. Thoughts?

• @MidlandNick

If she has no data in the installation, I would think a reset of 1Password on the Mac may sort things for you. I would also make sure that you have a copy of her Emergency Kit before the reset. It's also a great time to make sure you have a copy of yours.

https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

--

1. Open or bring 1Password to the front.
    2. Click on Help (at the very top of the screen to the right of the Apple icon) > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. You will be asked to type in a code, and you need to copy it as is, hyphens included.
    3. Click on Delete Data and Start Over. * This only removes local data and doesn't affect your data your membership. At this point, 1Password will quit and disappear off your screen.
    4. Open 1Password again on your Mac, and there will be two choices - New to 1Password? Or Used 1Password before?
      • For 1Password.com memberships: Under 'Used 1Password before' select 1Password.com option, sign in to your account.
  • MidlandNick
    MidlandNick
    Community Member

That worked. Thanks!

• @MidlandNick

I am happy to hear things are working for you now. That's always a good thing. Enjoy! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.