To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Don't hold my documents hostage please

frehder
frehder
Community Member

Hello,
I would like to move from 1password.com to 1password.eu because I am from germany and I only recently learned, that there are EU servers. I read a lot about this topic on how to migrate. I understand it is difficult because the US and EU servers don't talk to each other.
I learned the best (only?) way to do this is to move/copy the items/passwords etc. over from one US-vault to an EU-vault in 1Password for Mac. This worked quite well except for my documents.

As I understand the link between item and document will be lost. That is a bummer, but not the end of the world. I saw that as an opportunity to cleanup some documents I don't need anymore.

I tried to copy and move the documents from one vault to another like I did with the password items, but there was always an error: "Documents can't be moved from an account on one server to another.". (Why is there an option to do this in the context menu if this action does not work for documents?)

But okay, this is bad, but I thought if that does not work, at least I can export the documents and add them to the new EU-vault later (And have a local backup of the documents, great!).
Ah shoot, nope the export function does not include documents. Maybe I can drag-and-drop them to the desktop. Nope. Maybe if I select a document there is at least a download-option there? Nope.

So my question is: Maybe I am just blind and don't see the obvious option in front of me but is there even a way to get a document out of 1Password? Any way?

Best regards
Florian Rehder

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @frehder!

Thank you for your feedback on this! I agree, moving documents at the moment is still quite a manual process. This is because documents are stored on the server and are only downloaded to the client apps if you manually request so. We are looking at ways to improve this in the future however, so thank you for taking the time to share your use case with us :+1:

You currently have two options to export your documents:

1. You can download them inside your 1Password app. At this point, you will have a local copy of your document on your file system, which you can then save and move.
    2. If you know programming, the CLI tool might be of some help.

I understand none of these two options are currently ideal, but as I said above, we are aware of the request and we are looking at ways to improve document management in 1Password.

• frehder
    frehder
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana,
    thank you for your reply! It would be nice if you guys could improve the document management of 1Password further.

Thank you for the link to the CLI tool. I now managed to download all the documents from my 1Password account.

For everyone interested in how I did this:

After I read the documentation for the CLI tool I googled a bit and found this tweet which lead me to this Gist on Github.

The bash script didn't worked for me (it is 2 years old, therefore no suprise), but I draw some inspiration from it and build my own little tool, which can be found here.

I think a good start to improve the document management would be to include a simple download all option to the CLI tool. I think that would be easier than to implement something like this to the 1Password apps.

• Thank you for sharing your solution here @frehder. I've added your voice to our internal request regarding a 'download all' option.

Ben

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#181

• DerekAB
    DerekAB
    Community Member

Can I add a +1 for this please, its a thing that is clearly missing - especially as a fairly new convert to 1Password I am doing fairly regular exports as I build up the entires in 1Password, including a few documents, which require me to download them and then do manual export copies, on MacOS with "Show in Finder" option its just time consuming... An option to export the entires and documents in one go would be very useful, even essential!

Best regards, Derek

• @DerekAB

Yes, you may. I have relayed your desires to the team.

• DerekAB
    DerekAB
    Community Member

Great, thanks very much, best regards Derek

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @DerekAB :)

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

I support a number of "not young" Mac users, including myself. I don't know more than a few of the dozens of passwords I use, but 1Password does. My clients tend to forget many of their passwords, so 1Password remembers for them. I started using 1Password years ago (pre-subscription) and can't consider not using it.

I also store software licenses, driver licenses, SSNs, passport data, credit cards, and login credentials, as well as other interesting and important documents in 1Password. Using Agilebits cloud gives me access from essentially anywhere to all my devices and, for me, is well worth the subscription price.

I regularly make an unencrypted export of most data to a USB drive that is immediately stored in my bank's Safe Deposit Box. That protects me from 1Password (or Agile bits) failure. However, it is important to note that there is currently no convenient way to export all documents stored in 1Password.

Recent activities supporting estate management has emphasized the importance of easy recovery of digitized documents stored on line, including those in 1Password vaults. This prompts again the request for 1Password "Export Everything" which would include stored objects not amenable to .csv export.

Data security includes protection from loss, typically using redundant offsite storage. This is NOT limited to simply credentials, but must include wills, trusts, deeds, powers of attorney, and more. Please seriously consider this as even more important than making the UI conform to Big Sur style and similar changes.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback as well @xz4gb8! Document management is something we certainly want to continue improving, so your suggestions are very helpful :)

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

@xz4gb8, I agree 100% with your request for improvement in 1Password's currently woeful handling of essential documents. Seems like some accommodation with the major cloud services could provide adequate secure storage facilities while 1Password would deal with encryption/decryption, organization, and archiving chores.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you as usual for the very helpful feedback @williakz, and for taking the time to share your thoughts with the community :) We will keep all suggestions in mind as we continue working on 1Password :+1:

This discussion has been closed.