Continued rough spots in using Version 7

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

Issue 1: when a new login is saved while logging in, it is supposed to be copied to the clipboard. I have found many times it is not, and I have had difficulty recovering from certain error scenario.

Issue 2: when a new login is saved while logging in, the URL is now most commonly a special registration page; not the normal login page. This requires a lot of false steps later, and resetting the URL to the proper login page.

Issue 3: I use the password generator to create a new login. Then something odd happens and the login gets created with the new password, but it is nowhere to be found. Specifically as in issue #1, it is not on the clipboard.

Issue 4: today I inadvertently typed a key in a password field. This became the new password. Previously you could undo that, getting back to the actual password. But today I could not. And due to issue #1 above, it was not on the clipboard.

The above steps are not perfectly illustrated and you would have to have a better step-by-step sequence to reproduce them. However, they all end up with lots of extra work. I have had to revert to an old practice of saving all newly generated passwords manually to an editor so that when a set of missteps described above happens, I have an easy fall back to recover.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 1.22.1
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

I had typed this question a couple of days ago, but it seems to have either not been posted or gotten lost. So I will try to reproduce it.

1. A continuing issue is that when you register for the first time, more often than not the saved URL is for the registration page; not for the login page. This results in going back to that page, which would be wrong. So next it requires determining the actual login page URL, or as close as you can get to it, and manually updating 1P. Lots of rework.
    2. In Version 6, using the password generator caused the new password to be saved to the clipboard. I thought there was a setting that governs that, but I cannot find it. The issue is that I have a number of times used the password generator, then due to errors or whatever, I don't have the password recorded, as 1P did not offer to save it. And it is not on the clipboard either. And I cannot find a "password" item either. Both of these messages saved having to do a pw reset. Now I have to revert to my old paranoia of always saving a generated password to an editor. So going backwards.
    3. I made a typing error in a password field of a 1P login. In the past you could "undo" that mistake. Now it appears that any such typing into the password field obliterates the previous content. And because of #2, it would not be on the clipboard on in a password items. So you are out of luck and have to do a password reset. So perfect storm: (1) fat finger; (2) no undo; (3) no clipboard; (4) no password item.

1Password Version: 7.6
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.15.7
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9!

Issue 1: when a new login is saved while logging in, it is supposed to be copied to the clipboard. I have found many times it is not, and I have had difficulty recovering from certain error scenario.

I don't think 1Password is supposed to copy the password to the clipboad when you save a login. Or at least, I don't remember this ever happening to me while using the app.

Issue 2: when a new login is saved while logging in, the URL is now most commonly a special registration page; not the normal login page. This requires a lot of false steps later, and resetting the URL to the proper login page.

Indeed, this is currently the way it works. Perhaps we can reconsider this behavior in a future update :+1:

Issue 3: I use the password generator to create a new login. Then something odd happens and the login gets created with the new password, but it is nowhere to be found. Specifically as in issue #1, it is not on the clipboard.

Are you able to consistently reproduce this? Can you share the exact step-by-step instructions to make this happen? We would love to test this.

Issue 4: today I inadvertently typed a key in a password field. This became the new password. Previously you could undo that, getting back to the actual password. But today I could not. And due to issue #1 above, it was not on the clipboard.

If you make a mistake while typing a password, simply press Cmd+Z to undo it :+1:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Not when you login--when you use password generator to create a password. Version 6 and below did that.
    2. Seems like a huge bunch of rework for everybody.
    3. Will look for it and give you the steps if I can.
    4. Cmd-Z did nothing in this particular case. Again I will look to reproduce it.

Thanks for getting back to me. I could not find my question in the list, so I created another question which pretty much duplicates this one.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasimon9:

1. Will look for it and give you the steps if I can.
    2. Cmd-Z did nothing in this particular case. Again I will look to reproduce it.

Sounds good, thank you :)

This discussion has been closed.