To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Getting started

This discussion was created from comments split from: Totally confused!.

Comments

• ciweaver
    ciweaver
    Community Member

I am a brand new user of 1Password and am very confused after setting up my account. I'm not sure HOW to get a 1Password "password" for existing accounts. When I sign in to my credit card or bank, for example, it asks if I want to save the sign-in info in 1Password and I say "yes." But I'm not sure if 1Password is changing my password to a 1Password password or just saving my own password info.???? Also, I have Quickbooks Online and not sure how 1Password will work in that format. I'm afraid I'm going to lock myself out of all the important accounts I need to get into???? Can I find local one-on-one help with this in Oregon? I'm a senior and it's very confusing to understand how 1Password works without a Real Person walking me through the process at least once! I am signed up for the "free" month trial at this time.

• Hi @ciweaver

I am a brand new user of 1Password and am very confused after setting up my account. I'm not sure HOW to get a 1Password "password" for existing accounts.

I'd be happy to help with that. We have a guide that walks through the process available here:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

When I sign in to my credit card or bank, for example, it asks if I want to save the sign-in info in 1Password and I say "yes." But I'm not sure if 1Password is changing my password to a 1Password password or just saving my own password info.????

That's a good first step. This saves your current credentials into 1Password. The next step would be following the above guide to change your passwords to stronger ones.

I'm afraid I'm going to lock myself out of all the important accounts I need to get into????

If you're saving your credentials in 1Password then the only credentials you need to remember are your 1Password credentials. To that end I would strongly recommend printing your Emergency Kit, writing in your Master Password on it, and then storing that somewhere safe such as a fire safe or bank deposit box:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Can I find local one-on-one help with this in Oregon? I'm a senior and it's very confusing to understand how 1Password works without a Real Person walking me through the process at least once! I am signed up for the "free" month trial at this time.

Unfortunately that isn't a service that we offer at this time, and I suspect getting in-person help in general (anywhere) is going to be a challenge at this time. That said you may want to try reaching out to your local library or computer repair shop to see if they'd be able to assist. :)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• ciweaver
    ciweaver
    Community Member

Thank You Ben. I was hoping I would have someone I could ask as I traverse this maze of 1Password links. I will write now before reading the link you shared, just to get this back to you swiftly. I already did save a PDF printout of my Emergency Kit which will be in my safety deposit box and home safe. And have put the word out for someone nearby who knows the workings of 1Password, but no response yet? Here are a few questions I still have now: 1) The only place 1Password asks me to save my current info is in Chrome. What about Safari which doesn't ask me to save in 1Password when I log in to bank, etc. and I use Safari more than Chrome? Does that mean I have to use only Chrome now, even if both browsers have been set-up with 1Password? 2) When I saved my credit card and bank sign in info with 1Password, it got stored in the "vault." What does that actually mean as far as how I use it if I get locked out or asked to enter my user name and password as often happens? Also, I have a bank that now has "duplicate" info stored in the vault and I don't know if I should delete one entry there, nor how to do that? 3) Quickbooks Online has my bank accounts and credit cards set up with my passwords and I'm wondering how that will work when they start changing? It's a question about the overall workings of 1Password? Do all the companies I use that have my original passwords get changed and then get New 1Password passwords that I access with my 1Password Emergency Kit info? I simply don't understand how this system is set-up to work? That's all I can think of at the moment and I hope that I can ask you more questions if they pop up as I continue on? I do need a bit of handholding at the beginning of new things like this, but have figured out most things myself for the last 40+ years personally and in my business, so I'm not a complete newbie to technology.

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

To answer 3:

The sites you're using are completely unaware of what if any password manager you're using, and a site that may log in as you to a third party (Quickbooks) they aren't aware of you changing your password.

For example, you may have the username and password for "Fake National Bank" currently set as user:jdoe password:letmein and you've put that into Quickbooks. If you were to then store that information in 1Password, and then later on change that password to a more secure password on "Fake National Bank"'s website and store that new password in 1Password, Quickbooks is going to continue to have the password of "letmein" and you would need to go into Quickbooks and and update your login information.

• plttn's answer for #3 is solid (thanks!). As for the other questions:

1) The only place 1Password asks me to save my current info is in Chrome. What about Safari which doesn't ask me to save in 1Password when I log in to bank, etc. and I use Safari more than Chrome? Does that mean I have to use only Chrome now, even if both browsers have been set-up with 1Password?

Do you see the 1Password extension in Safari's menu bar (next to the address bar, where you see the URL of the website you're visiting)? It is possible to use both Chrome and Safari. If you do not see 1Password in Safari's menu bar I'd suggest opening Safari > Preferences > Extensions. Does 1Password appear there? Is it checked, such that it is enabled?

2) When I saved my credit card and bank sign in info with 1Password, it got stored in the "vault." What does that actually mean as far as how I use it if I get locked out or asked to enter my user name and password as often happens? Also, I have a bank that now has "duplicate" info stored in the vault and I don't know if I should delete one entry there, nor how to do that?

All 1Password data is stored in your vault. Vault is the term that we use to describe containers of 1Password information. Unless sharing 1Password data with others it is typical to only have/use one vault. If you have duplicate entries it would likely be wise to delete one of the copies. You can do that by opening and unlocking the 1Password app, finding the items in question, selecting the one you wish to delete, and then deleting it.

I simply don't understand how this system is set-up to work?

Essentially 1Password is a database. It stores what you put into it for easy retreival. On top of that we have the browser extensions which facilitate putting information into and getting information out of 1Password. There is no automation involved regarding changing passwords at this time. 1Password can assist you by suggesting a strong unique password for each site, but the process of actually changing those passwords and updating your records within 1Password with the new information is a manual process.

That's all I can think of at the moment and I hope that I can ask you more questions if they pop up as I continue on?

Absolutely! Our staff and the rest of the community are here to help.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.