1Password 6 stuck

This discussion was created from comments split from: Why is Mac 1Password hanging?.

Comments

• torototo
    torototo
    Community Member

Dear,

I have a license for 1Password6 and have been using it seamlessly up to now.

I have a problem on MAC OS Catalina 10.15.7 after having let 1Password7 extension be installed inadvertently on Chrome.
    Once I tried to launch 1Password6, it launched requesting password, then remained stuck.
    I deleted 1Password7 extension and the application 1Password6 and reinstalled the latter from the URL:
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM4.
    After installation, the application launches but I am still stuck after entering my password.

The 1Password6 on my iPhone works still perfectly using same credentials.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Hi @torototo

I apologize for the trouble. 1Password 6 has been retired for over two years, and is no longer receiving updates. I'm not aware of any solution here other than upgrading to a modern version of 1Password. You can learn more about that upgrade process here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Ben

• torototo
    torototo
    Community Member

Thank you for your quick response although of limited utility. As explained in my report, the problem comes not from the use of an old version of 1Password but from the trouble created by installation of the extension of the new version without being warned before doing so of the risk this may corrupt the application for which I own a license and would like continue benefiting. Would there be any corrective action that would allow me restoring the version I use? I assume that this could be solved by the deletion of some configuration files hidden somewhere. Would it be possible to provide me with a bit more assistance? Thanks.

• @torototo

I apologize; you had mentioned that you had already attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the app, which would've been the troubleshooting step I would've recommended here. Failing that unfortunately there isn't anything further I'd be able to suggest with regard to v6. We'd be happy to help you in any way possible to get you up to speed with a modern version but we're quite limited at this point in terms of troubleshooting v6.

Ben

• torototo
    torototo
    Community Member

Ben,

I am even not sure that installing 1Pasword7 would clear me from the problem generated when it installed the first time. So, not so keen investing in it before I solve this issue.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2020

@torototo

There is a 14 day free trial of membership when installing 1Password 7, so that would tell us for sure if it would resolve the problem before having to make any financial investment.

Ben

• torototo
    torototo
    Community Member

Ben,

This is to report to the 1Password community the solution I found with a bit of perseverance to resolve the conflict that was created by installation of 1Password7 extension over 1Password6 application.

I noticed that there is a Preferences file at the following location on my computer:

/Users//Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Preferences

where is a placeholder for my actual user name string on my computer.

This folder contains the following property list file:

2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.plist

By renaming the "Preferences" folder as "XXXPreferences", I have been expecting that this plist would now become unreachable or hidden to 1Password. The trick seemed to work as, since this modification, I can now launch again 1Password6 properly and communicate seamlessly with the 1Password mini.

So everything seems now restored as before.

Your feedback is welcome.

Regards,

• torototo
    torototo
    Community Member

In my previous reply, some strings between "<" and ">" disappeared of the processed text due to html parsing, so you should have read:

Ben,

This is to report to the 1Password community the solution I found with a bit of perseverance to resolve the conflict that was created by installation of 1Password7 extension over 1Password6 application.

I noticed that there is a Preferences file at the following location on my computer:

/Users/***/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Preferences

where *** is a placeholder for my actual user name string on my computer.

This folder contains the following property list file:

2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.plist

By renaming the "Preferences" folder as "XXXPreferences", I have been expecting that this plist would now become unreachable or hidden to 1Password. The trick seemed to work as, since this modification, I can now launch again 1Password6 properly and communicate seamlessly with the 1Password mini.

So everything seems now restored as before.

Your feedback is welcome.

Regards,

• That's great, @torototo! I'm glad to hear you've found a workaround here. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ben

• nikfryn
    nikfryn
    Community Member

@torototo - thank you so much for this... I've been having the issue for a few days, for a similar reason and this fixed the problem for me, too! 👍🏼🙏🏼

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear :)

• edavidove
    edavidove
    Community Member

Thanks. I was having the same issue and your proposed solution worked for me too.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @edavidove! I am happy to hear this :)

This discussion has been closed.