To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Suggestion: U2F 2FA For all logins

forest1998
forest1998
Community Member
edited November 2020 in Memberships

Hi!

Since some time I’m using a yubikey as an U2F-device. I also protected my 1password-account with it. I don’t know if there are more people, but I would love it if I could set 1password up to require the U2F-key for every time I open my 1password on phone or Mac. Including the possibility to exempt a few passwords ofcourse, just like assigning them to your Apple Watch.

What do you guys think about this?

Comments

• Hi @forest1998

In order for required U2F on each unlock to add a real security benefit we would need to give up offline access and instead download the encrypted data from the server on each unlock. This would mean a huge increase in bandwidth utilization by 1Password, which is likely impractical especially on mobile devices. It would also mean a fairly significant foundational shift in how 1Password operates.

We'll continue to evaluate the landscape. Perhaps this will be more practical as an opt-in feature if unlimited data plans become more affordable / accessible. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Ben

• forest1998
    forest1998
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your answer! Sad to hear it isn't possible right now. Could an option be to only use the web-version of 1password? And then let it lock completely every time?

• @forest1998

Yes, if you were to clear your browser cache after each use that would likely achieve the desired effect. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.