What's 1Passsword Keychain?

Options
sammy_j
sammy_j
Community Member

On 1P V7.6 on Mac desktop App, under File->Import, the very first option for source is "1Password Keychain". What is 1Password Keychain? Not Safari's/iCloud Keychain, I assume? Googling "1Password Keychain" didn't help.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sammy_j

1Password used to create sync files called "Agile Keychains." The option you're seeing would be for bringing one of these legacy files into a modern version of 1Password. :)

Ben

• sammy_j
    sammy_j
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben - I see, Thanks!

I was looking around to see how to open vaults that I created on one Mac to a new Mac. Have two vaults and saved them on an USB driver using folder sync. On the new Mac, I can click on "Have used 1P before" to load One vault, say Primary. After this, how do I bring in the second vault over (also on the USB drive) to the new Mac?

• Ben
    Options

@sammy_j

The process you're describing sounds fairly labor intensive. The recommended way to keep your 1Password data in-sync across your devices would be with the use of a 1Password membership. With membership, once set up, you simply sign into your 1Password account on each device and all of your data will be present. You can learn more about the benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to move forward with that instructions for migrating your existing data are available here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• sammy_j
    sammy_j
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben , I appreciate that. While I will likely pay for membership and migrate standalone vaults in the future, I was hoping for some guidance on my paid, licensed product.

If you can offer some pointers, I'd be happy. If you can't, I'd understand, I will play with it and figure it out (using folder sync, or replicating the 1P dir structure for backups on the new Mac and do a "restore from backup" on the new Mac.

Thanks again!

• Ben
    Options

@sammy_j

Understood. If you're intent on using folder sync this guide may be of some help:

https://support.1password.com/local-folder/

You'll want to be sure both Macs are pointing to the same OPVault file on the USB drive.

Ben

• sammy_j
    sammy_j
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again, as always, for your stellar support, @Ben !!! Much appreciated.

Sorry that I may not have been clear; I am not trying to keep two Macs in sync with same 1P vault. This is an one-time effort to migrate from one MAC to another using an USB drive, using the steps illustrated here

The question was how do I do this for two vaults as the Welcome screen (and Click More Options >“Used 1Password before?” ) will appear only the first time, at which I migrate the 1st vault. Was not sure how I would then migrate the second vault on USB, as the Welcome Screen will no longer appear and I was wondering if there was Menu item on 1P App to open a vault stored on the USB drive.

Once I migrate the vaults to the new Mac, 1P will be removed from the other Mac. So at any given time, I will have 1P on only 1 Mac - not trying to keep two Macs sync-ed through a folder on an USB drive. Just once to migrate the vaults.

Thanks!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2020
    Options

Thanks @sammy_j. I think Folder Sync would still be a reasonable solution to this situation, even if you only intend to sync each of the compuuters with the USB drive once. :) For subsequent vaults after the first you'd create a new vault on the destination computer and then in 1Password > Preferences > Sync set it up to sync with the appropriate sync file (OPVault) on the USB drive.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.