Why won't edits show up on both copies of logins when in two different vaults?

xyxy
xyxy
Community Member

Still in setup mode as a new user so bear with me...
When I create a login in one vault then copy it to a second vault, subsequent edits to one of them do not appear to be reflected on both files. This is a problem particularly if I update the password, as the second copy will then become out of date and not work.
Related to this, when you copy a login from one vault to another, why does it show two of those logins in the All Vaults list view? This seems more confusing then leaving only one login and tagging it as being in two vaults!
Am I doing something wrong here?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: catalina
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @xyxy

The analogy here would be making a photocopy of page and putting the copy in a different folder. If you're looking through the whole file cabinet ("All Vaults") you'll see both copies. Also changes to one copy aren't going to affect the other. Moving the item may make more sense than copying it. :)

Ben

• xyxy
    xyxy
    Community Member

Ok, thanks for the explanation. So this kind of makes the copying function useless, doesn't it? The minute you want to update the login for any reason, you are then forced to either manually update the second copy every time or, if you leave it, you then have one outdated login that looks from the thumbnail exactly the same as the other, leading to confusion when you need to choose it for your next autofill.
    Is this something you would think needs polishing at your end?

• Copy and move intentionally have different behaviors to suit different purposes. It sounds like your purpose here would be more inclined to moving the item vs copying it.

Ben

• xyxy
    xyxy
    Community Member

I hear you. So that I can better understand the difference in the move vs copy options going forward, could I trouble you to give me a basic explanation for the different purposes for choosing each?

• Certainly. :) Copy creates an independent duplicate of the item (much like a photocopy), whereas move leaves only a single item in play.

Ben

• xyxy
    xyxy
    Community Member

Ha! I get that much! :)
    What I meant was, what is the benefit to the user for each option? In other words, in what circumstances does choosing to copy or move an item improve the 1password experience for the user? What is the problem that it solves?
    I'm not trying to be obtuse here...just trying to understand how to maximize my use as I set things up.
    Thanks for your help and patience!

• @xyxy

I had the Netflix login in my Personal vault. I moved it to a vault (shared) that all of my family members can access. I also have several vaults setup in the event of my death that have exact duplicates for each of my children. Only myself and each child has access to the specific vault. So in this instance, a copy of the item was used once I had everything set as desired in the initial item.

That's just my usage of copy and move. I hope it may help you.

• xyxy
    xyxy
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_tommy

• @xyxy

You're welcome. I am glad I could help out.

This discussion has been closed.