automatic local backup of vaults in 1password account

stevefu
stevefu
Community Member
edited November 2020 in Families

I have been using local 1password vaults (sync using dropbox) for many years. I am thinking about moving to 1password account with Families plan setup.

From my reading, after I move my vaults to 1password account, backup of my vaults will be handled automatically at 1password service side. That is great! But it does not give me a peace of mind for putting my backups into a single source. My thinking is: if I have local backups, I can create a local vault from backup in the event that 1password service is running into any temporary issues. Yes I am a bit paranoid - this is not for the lack of trust to 1password.

I know I can export vaults or make local copy of vaults manually. But I would want to do this daily or weekly for local backup purpose. Is that possible?

-Steve

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:local backup 1password account

Comments

• Hi @stevefu

in the event that 1password service is running into any temporary issues

I understand the concern. 1Password membership vaults are cached on your devices, so the 1Password service being offline would not affect your ability to access your data. If you're backing up using Time Machine or similar this cache would be automatically backed up by default. If you disconnect from the internet, you can restore that cache from any point in time and work from that. When you re-connect, the latest changes will sync down from the 1Password service.

Ben

• stevefu
    stevefu
    Community Member

Hi Ben, thanks for the reply!

I use Windows as my main desktop. If I set up backup of the cache folder regularly, I assume I can achieve the same thing to restore cache folder to any point in time. Is this "restore cache folder" operation officially supported? I don't want to run into any potential file corruptions.

It is a bit of extra work to set it up. Please add this to your engineering team's feature ask backlog : local backup/restore for membership vault.

Thanks!
    -Steve

• I use Windows as my main desktop. If I set up backup of the cache folder regularly, I assume I can achieve the same thing to restore cache folder to any point in time. Is this "restore cache folder" operation officially supported?

No it is not. The cache wasn't intended to be used as a backup, but it can serve that purpose in the unlikely event it needs to be called upon to do so. Otherwise using the built-in backup mechanism would be the proper solution.

It is a bit of extra work to set it up. Please add this to your engineering team's feature ask backlog : local backup/restore for membership vault.

Already on the wish list. :) Thanks.

Ben

• stevefu
    stevefu
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. Where is the 1password cache folder on Windows machines?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stevefu:

Your 1Password data is stored in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password on Windows.

• opensesame
    opensesame
    Community Member

I've also been looking into backup options for the passwords stored with a 1Password membership. Particularly, I was thinking about the unlikely but bad scenario where someone hacked my email in the future and got 1Password to delete my account. If that were to happen, and my account got deleted, would my macOS or iOS 1Password clients still have access to their local data, or would a sync down from the server delete everything? Thanks.

• Hi @opensesame

I think it is great that you're thinking through some of the hypotheticals so as to best plan your setup for success. There are some nuiances to this answer, which makes it more difficult to answer as a hypothetical. If you'd like to discuss I'd suggest reaching out to our security team at support+security@1password.com. As they would be the ones to address this situation were it to become real vs hypothetical, they'd be in the best position to work through this with you.

Thanks!

Ben

• mpfc75
    mpfc75
    Community Member

@ag_ana is 1Password data stored in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password on Windows even if I am only using the browser extensions? That's all I currently use at that location on my PC doesn't exist. Also, when rebuilding a PC doesn't that folder hierarchy typically get deleted (basic PC users may only backup Documents, Photos, Music etc.)?

I'm new to 1Password (bye LastPass) and am a little unclear about the PC program vs the browser extension but I think I'll post a separate question about this.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mpfc75:

That folder includes data from the 1Password desktop app: if you only use the browser extension, I believe that folder does not get created at all.

Also, when rebuilding a PC doesn't that folder hierarchy typically get deleted (basic PC users may only backup Documents, Photos, Music etc.)?

Are you referring to the folder hierarchy of your computer, or just within your 1Password data?

• mpfc75
    mpfc75
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    Are you referring to the folder hierarchy of your computer, or just within your 1Password data?

I meant that I believe the Windows "Reset this PC" will wipe your PC and return it to
    its original factory condition, while optionally saving your documents and other data files as well
    as any installed Microsoft Store apps. Any installed desktop applications are removed and will
    need to be manually reinstalled later. So, I guess the 1Password backup folder and data would be deleted BUT it would be recreated the first time I ran 1Password and if so, there isn't anything to be too concerned about.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mpfc75:

So, I guess the 1Password backup folder and data would be deleted BUT it would be recreated the first time I ran 1Password and if so, there isn't anything to be too concerned about.

That would be my assumption too. You can also always backup that folder manually, so you have a copy you can restore if needed :+1:

This discussion has been closed.