Will 1password run on Apple silicon-based Mac ?

bilan
bilan
Community Member

Is this question premature ? 8-)
Too exited by the keynote, sorry :-)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @bilan

We're very excited by the announcements as well. We will of course be taking a very close look at what is needed to move forward. 1Password was born on Mac, and we're going to do everything we can to make sure the experience there remains top notch.

Ben

• sdades
    sdades
    Community Member

With the expected announcement next week on these new apple computers, is there anything you can share on 1Password being able to support them when available?

• @sdades

The 1Password for Mac app is supported on Apple's new computers, whenever they arrive. :)

Ben

• sdades
    sdades
    Community Member

Great news. Thanks for the quick response.

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• joisagile
    joisagile
    Community Member

Please be a little more specific. Which 1password is running on the new Macs: the IOS version, a new version of 1password native to M1 processor or the existing 1password running under Rosetta 2 compatibility? Thanks.

• @joisagile

1Password 7 for Mac currently runs on M1 using Apple's Rosetta 2 technology but we're excited about the opportunities native support will offer and hope to have more to say on the subject soon.

Ben

• joisagile
    joisagile
    Community Member

1password is one of the most important applications that I use. I couldn't move to a M1 Mac unless 1password worked on it. Having seen many iterations of compatibility modes over the years, I get nervous when such an important application is not native or well tested. I am looking forward to hearing more.

Hopefully, we will see an email from your fearless leader on the topic with details. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@joisagile:

As Ben said, 1Password is supported on new Macs. When we will have more information to share, we will certainly do that :+1:

• adellos
    adellos
    Community Member

Have 1Password installed on a new Mac Mini with Apple Silicon/the M1chip.

Working great except for browser extensions (which generally seem to be a bit "wonky" on Apple Silicon Mac right now so not necessarily a 1Password problem…).

Do you have any information or tips on getting extensions to work on Apple Silicon Macs or is this just some "early adopter tax"?

Thanks!

• bdruth
    bdruth
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Was just going to post the same as @adellos - I'm guessing this is because the extension isn't compiled as a universal binary, and since Safari is (presumably) Apple Silicon native, it won't load extensions that are Intel. Would be great to get an ETA on when this would be fixed?

Just as I posted this, I see the extension now in Safari Preferences - I happened to go in for something else, and it was still loaded to the extensions screen from the last time I went in, or I wouldn't have noticed!

• hazmat
    hazmat
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

For what it's worth, I have an M1 Mac mini and 1Password and its browser extensions for Safari and Firefox all seem to be working fine.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@adellos:

Working great except for browser extensions (which generally seem to be a bit "wonky" on Apple Silicon Mac right now so not necessarily a 1Password problem…).

Can you please elaborate on this a little bit? What issues are you experiencing exactly?

• dsmaxemil
    dsmaxemil
    Community Member

@Ben and @ag_ana I've just set up my M1 Mac Mini and I cannot open 1Password at all. Any tips? Cause it's the 1st app I install on any of my devices. Thanks a lot!

• dsmaxemil
    dsmaxemil
    Community Member

@Ben and @ag_ana Sorry, it seems Rosetta 2 hadn't installed. It's working fine now :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @dsmaxemil! I am glad to hear that things are working fine again :)

• Hanse01
    Hanse01
    Community Member

@ag_ana: Assuming I am experiencing the same situation as @adellos was, here's the deal:

After installing 1Password, being prompted to install Rosetta on first startup of the application, installing Rosetta, then launching the application. When I open up Safari for the first time, 1Password shows a notification suggesting I enable the 1Password Safari extension.

Clicking on that notification brings me to the Safari extensions menu, which simply indicates there are no extensions to enable available. The menu is empty on the left hand side (Where you normally select which extension you want to change the settings for, and the right hand "detail" view just has a big label saying "No Extensions".

About 15 minutes later, it showed up in that menu, and I was able to enable it. I assume macOS was doing some work in the background to translate the extension code perhaps? But it's not obvious to the end user that's going on. Adding in a message to the user about this in a future update might be helpful, until the codebase itself moves.

• Thanks for sharing that with us, @Hanse01. I'm not sure how we could show a message if the extension isn't loaded. A bit of a chicken and egg problem. But I'll talk with development and see what options we have here. Thank you!

Ben

• Hanse01
    Hanse01
    Community Member

@Ben: Fair point :) Perhaps the main UI could indicate it before installing the extension, or at least a support article might be a good idea, to head off anyone else bringing this feedback to you. I imagine the average computer user that doesn't care about the underlying technical details, might open a support ticket before noticing it appearing.

• Indeed. :) Thanks again :+1:

Ben

• tc1p
    tc1p
    Community Member

Can't wait for news on native support for Apple Silicon. The battery improvements alone are huge. I've also noticed menu bar items with Apple Silicon support open much faster than their Intel counterparts, so I'm excited to see that improvement come to 1Pass.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tc1p:

The latest beta (7.7.1.BETA-2) is Apple Silicon native ;)

This discussion has been closed.