Automatic Prompt for 2 Factor Authentication Missing from Google Email?

Options
ecwidman
ecwidman
Community Member

Hi - I would like to save the 2 Factor authentication codes for our company's Google Email within 1Password. However, the 1Password app is not indicating that 2 Factor authentication is available with Google (Google Workspace) email and I am not being prompted to save those codes within 1Passsword. (I am not getting the purple "Two Factor Authentication" message for our Google email as I do with other apps we use).

Could you please tell me how to get 1password to prompt me to save these codes for Google email?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600005)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ecwidman

I'm sorry to hear 1Password isn't prompting you as expected. I'm not sure off-hand that it would be possible to get it to do so, however you can save your 2FA (TOTP) secret in 1Password without the prompt. Detailed instructions on how to do so can be found here:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• titkos
    titkos
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I've the same problem, I cannot seen any QR code to be scanned when trying to activate two-factor authentication on my new gmail account.
    I've read the link you provided above and followed the instructions but no success.
    The only way google offer seems to be either sending me an sms or a vocal message with their secret code (I do not want to install google.app on my mobile devices).

Is there a way I could use 1Password's 2-auth feature with this new gmail account?

Please note i've been using 1Password's 2-auth feature with some gmail accounts i created years ago and all still works perfectly.

Specs: macOS 10.15.7 with 1Password for families version "1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600005) 1Password Store" and iOS 14.2.

• titkos
    titkos
    Community Member
    Options

Update to my previous post : problem is now solved.
    The "trick" is:
    1. In your google account, start the double-auth process
    2. Choose if you want to receive an sms or a call from google with your secret, transient code (G-XXX-XXX)
    3. When prompted, enter the secret code you just received
    4. Then, go on with google 2-auth process: a screen displays several options, one of them being "Google Authenticator". Click it and you'll see the QR Code you need for 1Password to complete the process. :) :) :)

Hope that helps...

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @titkos. Glad to hear you found the solution here. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.