Two Factor Authentication makes Emergency Kit less useful.

Options
Timbo66
Timbo66
Community Member

It's very important to me to provide access to trusted family members in case I suddenly die or am incapacitated. The Emergency Kit does that, however if I also use 2FA (Two factor authentication), which we should all be doing, then my surviving family member still cannot login to my account because presumably my phone is inaccessible because it's password locked or it was crushed under the bus with me. So is the only option that my family member has to install a 2FA app and link it to my 1Password account before using the Emergency Kit? Which I guess would entail me printing out the QR code in advance? And writing up detailed instructions on what to do? Most everyone in my family would struggle with this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Timbo66

I'd be happy to help with that. :)

if I also use 2FA (Two factor authentication), which we should all be doing

I'm not sure I agree, specifically when it comes to 1Password accounts. For traditional services that rely entirely on authentication for protection: it makes sense. But 1Password doesn't rely entirely, or even primarily, on authentication. The primary thing protecting your data with 1Password is end-to-end encryption. The only benefit 2FA offers in this arrangement is some layer of protection for the device authorization process, the first time you sign into your 1Password account from a new device. Beyond that, it is not used.

That's outside the scope of your question, but you made that comment so I thought it might be helpful to elaborate on the purpose of 2FA in terms of 1Password.

Which I guess would entail me printing out the QR code in advance?

This is exactly what I typically recommend in this situation. Printing the 2FA QR code and attaching it to the Emergency Kit. :+1:

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.