How can I sort my documents saved in my Vault into Folders

RobinKotze
RobinKotze
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello. I would like to organise my documents saved into the Documents section in my vault into folders. Is this possible?

I see there is an option to attach a Tag, but I'm not sure if you can assign the same Tag to all the documents at once? Can you sort by Tag?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sub folders in vault

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RobinKotze,

We do not have folders in 1Password now, but you are right: you can use a tag instead. Learn more about them here:

Organize with favorites and tags

You can select all document items in your listt and drag the items to a tag in the sidebar. Or right-click the items and choose Tags.

After that, to view your tagged items, click a tag in the sidebar.

Let me know how it works for you. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• dennisr
    dennisr
    Community Member

Hello. I am giving 1Password a try after many years of putting up with KeePassX's old UI and limitations, then I migrated to Bitwarden for the last year. Now, I find 1Password's UI prettier and it's ability to share items is a significant improvement over Bitwarden, but its useless animations are a big turn-off, and the lack of folders even more so (I find it surprising that people have criticized the animations for years and 1Password has not yet implemented a way to disable them). It also freezes in Catalina.

Back to folders: I do not care about the built-in categories, with close to 800 user names/passwords to manage, scrolling through a list, or having to type to search every time is just annoying and slow. I understand that using tags accomplishes the same thing, but instead of forcing users to do it your way, you should provide that flexibility. I might not stay after the 30 days trial.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020

Hi @dennisr,

I am sorry to heart that you are having troubles with 1Password!

This discussion relates to 1Password 7 for Windows, so if you have any feedback or issues with 1Password 7 on your Mac, please post more information in our Mac category of this forum. I am not sure what animations you don't like, so please let us know more and we will investigate.

As for the question at hand: instead of folders we have multiple vaults and tags now.

• You can create a separate vault for your needs. This works great for keeping these items nicely separated and a really awesome benefit is you can access these vaults separately or together in All Vaults view.

• Tags serve the same basic function as folders, plus you can assign multiple tags to each item (whereas an item could only be added to a single folder):

With this being said, I understand that it will take some time for initial migration from folders structure. Could you please give vaults and tags a spin and let us know how it works for you? Thanks!

++
    Greg

• dennisr
    dennisr
    Community Member

Thank you, @Greg, for taking the time to read and reply to my little rant. My criticism is about 1Password's animation and the lack of folders option on any platform. My main machines are macOS, but I am also trying 1Password on a Windows 10 Pro system, several iOS devices. Eventually, I will be implementing it on some Linux virtual machines and servers as well. The unlock animation I refer to is present on all the platforms I have tried so far.

I figured creating several vaults would do the trick in place of folders. Thank you. I have been testing with separate CSV files so that I can import so many entries into each vault and will ultimately figure a way to take advantage of tags. Having folders to removing folders complicates the process and creates the need to separate the data before being imported.

But like you mentioned, I have to get used to the different UI, which I like, no complaints there. Not even the occasional crash. I know it happens, and they'll get fixed eventually. So I'll change my initial statement to, I will likely stay after the 30-day trial.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dennisr,

Thank you for the detailed reply! I am happy to see you onboard. :)

If the lock/unlock animation bothers you, please let us know more. Does it take too much time or is it something else? Thanks! :+1:

We also have a new beta version of 1Password for Linux , where we have a new feature called "Collections" (not present on other platforms at the moment). Collections allow you to create collections of your vaults in order to organize data across different accounts and vaults that you have in 1Password. We are looking at ways to bring Collections to other platforms, so please stay tuned.

If you have any questions about vaults, tags, or anything else in 1Password, please do not hesitate to contact us anytime. We are always ready to help you with everything. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• dennisr
    dennisr
    Community Member

Hello again @Greg!

I can live with the unlock animation, but I think it is unnecessary eye candy. Even if it takes one second to go away, it is superfluous. It makes 1Password look a bit cheesy; we are not playing James Bond breaking into some server. We are computer users accessing our data. Maybe the comparison is a stretch, but I have seen others in this forum and elsewhere complaining about it.

Thank you for suggesting the new features in Linux. I hope to give those a try later on.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dennisr,

Thank you for sharing your feedback! I will make sure to share it with our team.

Please feel free to raise other questions, we are always ready to help. :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.