1PasswordX with fingerprint

Hi,

I'm using my "Kensington VeriMark IT Fingerprint Key FIDO2/W usb-stick" also to unlock 1Password.

But it seems it does not work with 1PasswordX. Does somebody know if it can work ?

Thanks,

Eddy

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: WIN10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @eocula ,
    If you use your Fingerprint Key to unlock your computer and 1Password via Windows Hello, that can only currently work with the 1Password 7 desktop app and its companion extension.

Since 1Password X is a standalone version that lives in your browser only, it has no access to Windows Hello's API.
    We are currently working on integrating 1Password X with the 1Password 7 desktop app to allow, among other things, Windows Hello unlocking, which will probably allow you to unlock it with your fingerprint as well. We hope this feature will be available in the near future, but until then, you'll only be able to unlock with your fingerprint when using our old companion extension and not 1Password X.

I hope that clarifies the situation :)

• eocula
    eocula
    Community Member

Thanks for the info ! I'm looking forward to that new functionality anyway

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

So do we! :+1:

• niaccarino
    niaccarino
    Community Member

I assume this is also applies to macOS currently ?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2020

Hey @niaccarino ,

1Password X cannot be unlocked with biometrics on any platform at the moment.
    You can, however, unlock the 1Password 7 desktop app with Touch ID on your Mac.

• osanoarlo
    osanoarlo
    Community Member

@ag_yaron - Chrome now natively supports Mac's Touch ID via webauthn (sorry Yubikey) - https://www.chromestatus.com/feature/5962264427364352

I haven't done any testing to see whether the webauthn capabilities can be accessed via extension, but I'm curious if y'all have tested yet. We have an entire fleet of Macbook's at our company where we force deploy 1Password (not X) extension and have to force everybody to use the native 1Pass helper and install it via MDM in order to leverage biometric security.

If we don't use biometric security then we have to set an exceedingly long and unsafe lock period for the vaults so that users don't have to type their password repeatedly throughout the day.

Without fingerprint use, 1Password slows our team down. Really hoping webauthn support is coming soon for the chrome extension so we can ditch the native app helper entirely.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @osanoarlo ,

From a quick look in the link you sent over it seems like it is not an extension-accessible API, but I'll forward it to our developers just in case. Thanks for sending it over.

As for biometrics unlock, once we get that feature back into 1Password X (which we're all waiting for!) it will still need the native desktop app in order to function, but I hope 1Password X with the native desktop app will provide a better experience in any case.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2020

After checking with the team it seems that we do have access to that Chrome feature, but it doesn’t quite do what we need, as we rely on a 1Password account’s secret and this API relies on Chrome accounts secrets.

We already have suggested a feature request with the Chromium team and hopefully that will be a thing in the future :)

This discussion has been closed.