Why no auto lock for 1Password itself, as opposed to auto lock based on what the Mac is doing?

Options
arcticman
arcticman
Community Member

I have just signed up for 1Password, and as far as I can tell there is no auto lock for the 1Password itself on my Mac. All the settings in preferences are based on what the Mac is doing. So, one could open 1Password, get distracted by other work, and find out hours later that 1Password has been open in the background all the time. Hopefully I am missing something here.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Auto lock mac

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @arcticman! Welcome to the forum!

If you use the 1Password X browser extension, you can lock that separately after a certain amount of minutes. In the 1Password for Mac desktop app, you have several lock options to improve this behavior, including locking it manually whenever you want.

In your case, if you are worried about 1Password being open for too long, I recommend enabling the option named Lock when main window is closed under 1Password Preferences > Security tab.

• arcticman
    arcticman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but Lock when main window is closed does not solve the problem! I want the Mac 1Password desktop app to lock itself automatically - while I am working on other stuff on my Mac - just like the iOS app can be set up to do (and the browser extension).

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback on this, @arcticman. Perhaps that is something we can consider for a future generation of the Mac app. :+1:

Ben

• arcticman
    arcticman
    Community Member
    Options

I hope so, but I am heading elsewhere for my password manager.

• Ben
    Options

Understood. I hope you're able to find a solution that better meets your needs.

Ben

• IronTater
    IronTater
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

@arcticman

Would a 3rd party (free app) along with 1Passwords settings achieve your desired results? I use Quitter along with the "Lock when the main window is closed" setting within 1Password.

https://marco.org/apps

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion @IronTater! We appreciate your support :)

This discussion has been closed.