1Password for _young_ families. Private parent vaults, shared vaults, and parent-visible child vault

Options
asefoiashefou
asefoiashefou
Community Member

1Password "For Families" - I want to emphasize the for Families part.

If you're a a family with young children, it is best practice to have full and complete access to all of your children's passwords. I have kids 4 kids under the age of 18, and some of them are teenagers. It's critical that I be able to view their usernames and passwords at will... and this should be a core component 1Password for Families.

I get that perhaps my situation wasn't the target market... maybe it needed to be 1Password "For young families"... ? I'm not sure. :)

I actually signed up for the Family account last month as a new user to 1Password, and am disappointed that this common parenting workflow isn't very easy.

Ideally, as a parent I should be able to have:

• Parent vaults that are private, in the traditional 1password sense.
  • A shared vault for parent-managed family credentials... for say, netflix, that all adults and kids can see.
  • A vault for each child that their siblings can't see into but parent's can.

As I understand it, this workflow isn't very easy to accomplish with 1Password for Families currently, is that correct?

I'm really, really impressed with 1Password. But if these workflows are so difficult, I feel like the 1Password for families product kinda misses the mark. Thoughts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1Password X
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @asefoiashefou!

Parent vaults that are private, in the traditional 1password sense.

These are built into a Families account when you create them.

A shared vault for parent-managed family credentials... for say, netflix, that all adults and kids can see.

This is also a built-in vault, called "Shared", that is automatically created when you open the account.

A vault for each child that their siblings can't see into but parent's can.

These don't exist by default, but can be created and configured by you:

Create and share vaults

So you can do all of these things in 1Password Families already, with one exception: every member of a Families account has their own Private vault only they can see. For privacy reasons, not even Family Organizers can access these.

However, if you need complete access to a family member's account, you can do it by sharing your Emergency Kit information with each other.

This discussion has been closed.