I have a new Apple Watch 6. I can’s use 1Password. It says “Requires Apple Watch Passcode”.

jrlp2727
jrlp2727
Community Member

I’ve seen that I’m not the only one to suffer the problem. Based on other feedback, etc, I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling the app both on my watch and on my iPhone, but it does no good. BTW, I do have a passcode on my watch, but the app doesn’t let me re-enter it (I’ve already entered it). This is very frustrating and has wasted loads of time

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have a new Apple Watch 6. I can’t use 1Password. It says “requires Apple Watch Password” ....

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jrlp2727!

What version of 1Password is this happening with, and on what version of iOS and watchOS?

• jrlp2727
    jrlp2727
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. The watch is very new (a Series 6) and is running Version 7.1 (18R590) of its OS.

As for 1Password, I’m afraid I can’t be specific because I can’t open it to find out! But I’m pretty sure it’s the latest version because (1) the phone is so new, and (2) when the problem started I deleted it and re-installed it; to no avail.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jrlp2727:

As for 1Password, I’m afraid I can’t be specific because I can’t open it to find out!

I wonder if this might have something to do with what you are seeing. Just to be clear: I meant the version of 1Password for iOS, the app running on your phone rather than on your watch. Are you able to open it there?

• jrlp2727
    jrlp2727
    Community Member

Thanks again for your help. 1Passord on my iPhone is v 7.7. Indeed, as part of my attempt to resolve the problem with using 1P/word on my Watch I removed and reinstalled it on my iPhone yesterday.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jrlp2727:

Thank you! Can you please make sure that you have followed all of these steps on your devices?

1. A passcode is enabled on the Watch (you confirmed that this is indeed the case already)
    2. A passcode is enabled on the iPhone too
    3. The Apple Watch option is enabled within the 1Password for iOS app (under Settings > Apple Watch > Enable Apple Watch)
    4. You have tagged an item with the Apple Watch tag
  • jrlp2727
    jrlp2727
    Community Member

Thank you again. I have done steps 1 to 3 (and had already done so), but step 4 is a bit of a mystery! I don’t know what you mean when you say “have tagged an item with the Apple Watch tag”. What is a tag in this context? And how do you tag an item? Finally, I haven’t been able to do anything on 1Password on the watch because I can’t get beyond the screen which says “Requires Apple Watch Passcode”; i.e., the problem at the start of this chain. I do confirm that there is an active and working Passcode on the phone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jrlp2727:

You can add tags to your 1Password items to group and organize them them:

Organize with favorites and tags

In the case of Apple Watch items however, there is an easier way to do that:

Add and remove items from your Apple Watch

Do you have at least one item marked in the 1Password for iOS app to show up on your Watch? By default no items are shown on the watch, and I wonder if this is why this is happening to you.

• jrlp2727
    jrlp2727
    Community Member

I’m afraid that doesn’t seem to be the cause of the problem. Aided by the last part of your prior message, I marked an item in the iOS version of 1Password with a tag (Amazon) but it’s made no difference at all. The watch still says “Requires Apple Watch Passcode”! As I said in my original post, my watch DOES have a Passcode and my watch is on my wrist (so doesn’t need a password entering - indeed, you CAN’T enter one). Despite that, and as a test, I’ve just taken the watch off my wrist, entered the Passcode for the watch (successfully) but I get the same problem and same message when I try to open 1Password. Very frustrating!

I’m very grateful for your help, but as I said in my first post, I think others have had exactly the same issue. Does the 1Password company not have an answer?

Thanks again. I really do hope this can be resolved, not least to save any more of your time - and mine!

• jrlp2727
    jrlp2727
    Community Member

I don’t suppose it will help you diagnose and resolve the issue, but I can send you a photo of my watch screen with the problem

• jrlp2727
    jrlp2727
    Community Member

.Here it is:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jrlp2727:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your iOS device and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

This discussion has been closed.