Reveal Passwords as option for Chrome and Edge users?

josepk
josepk
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,

I run 1Password on my Mac with three different browsers (Edge, Chrome and Safari). The 1Password Safari extension has an option to allow for passwords to be visible instead of concealed (Preferences | Security | uncheck 'Conceal Passwords').

That's a handy feature for me, however, I could not find the equivalent for the Chrome or Edge 1Password extension.

Is it there and I'm not seeing it? If so, where?

Thanks!

Joe

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: BigSur
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:reveal password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @josepk!

The setting Conceal Passwords under Preferences > Security tab applies to the main app itself, and also to all the browser extensions (it's not a setting that must be applied to each browser separately). I have just tested this here and both Safari and Chrome had passwords visible after unchecking that setting.

Can you confirm what version of the 1Password extension you are using in Chrome and Edge? I wonder if you are perhaps using 1Password X there, which is a separate extension with no communication to the desktop app, which would explain why this setting is not reflected there.

• josepk
    josepk
    Community Member

I checked and I am using 1Password X (v 1.22.3) in Chrome. Is there a different 1Password Chrome (and Edge) extension I should be using?

• josepk
    josepk
    Community Member

Ok - after doing some research I see that there are two browser extensions available. 1Password (which requires communication to your desktop 1Password application) and 1Password X (which does NOT require a local desktop application installation - it is self-sufficient).

It appears that 1Password X is the direction that 1Password is moving so I'd prefer to stick with 1Password X.

With that said, is the password reveal setting coming to 1Password X in the near future?

Thanks!

Joe

p.s. IMO, it is confusing having two flavors of browser extensions available. I'm tech-savvy and it confused me. I can only imagine how a non-tech-savvy user would try to figure this out. Possibly condense down to one extension eventually?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@josepk:

Ok - after doing some research I see that there are two browser extensions available. 1Password (which requires communication to your desktop 1Password application) and 1Password X (which does NOT require a local desktop application installation - it is self-sufficient).

Correct :)

Indeed, one of our goals is to streamline the extensions, and I think it's possible that in the future we will only have a single one once again :+1:

With that said, is the password reveal setting coming to 1Password X in the near future?

It's possible, but we don't have a timeline yet. I will be happy to pass your feedback to the developers however.

• josepk
    josepk
    Community Member

OK - sounds good. Please send my feedback to them. Much appreciated! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Will do :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.