Generate new password for existing account creates new item

Options

Hi all,

I've seen several threads on similar issues, but didn't find the solution to my issue. Maybe I'm doing something wrong; hope you can help me!

When I generate a new password for an existing login (whilst on the website I want to update, usually on their "change your password" page), I use the browser function.
I click on the 1P icon of my browser, which opens the account for the website I'm on (so far, so good!).
I then click on "generate new password", and all of a sudden I'm not in the account window anymore, but in a window with the "password" items.
I validate the proposed password, using "save & copy", and my account information is updated with the new password (great!).
But at the same time, there is a new password item created (the one with the key, which only has a password, and not the user name).
So I end up having an updated account, but additionally a password file.

This also happens when I register a new account, using the password generation function via the browser function.

As it's confusing to have both existing in parallel, an "account" and a "password", I manually delete the "password" item. Not sure if this is really necessary, but I noticed that when there is a "password" item, sometimes the pre-fill function of the browser uses "password" instead of the "login" (which is annoying as the "password" doesn't have the user name).

Can you help me out here?
Thanks!
Muriel

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:generate password creates new item

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @muriel1402!

This is indeed a known bug, our developers are aware of this. You are doing nothing wrong :) Hopefully our developers will have a fix for this soon.

• muriel1402
    muriel1402
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana

thanks so much for your quick feedback! Do you have any idea when this will be fixed? I have the impression that this is happening at least since last summer (August 2020).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @muriel1402 ,
    We don't currently have a timeline to share for this issue.

The automatic generation of a "Password" item when using the generator is a failsafe that was designed to prevent situations where users generate a password, use it in a website, and then forget (or are unable) to save it as a "Login" item. That way they'll always be able to retrieve the password and not get locked out of their account.

The bug here is that when saving the new password into a Login item, the Password item should be automatically deleted, but it isn't. For now, you can definitely delete these extra Password items. I personally do that once every couple of weeks or so. I select them all and delete them in one go :)

This discussion has been closed.