Move the existing 1Password data (1Password 6) to a 1Password account (1Password 7)

Options
Frangeensoie
Frangeensoie
Community Member

Hi,

I have to move my 1Password data to a new Mac.
I read that I should download 1Password 7 on the device that has my 1Password data.
Problem: my old Mac runs under macOS 10.11 (El Capitan) and doesn't support 1Password 7.
How can I solve this problem?

Thanks
Jean-François

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Frangeensoie! Welcome to the forum!

1Password 7 requires a more recent version of macOS, so our recommendation is to update your system if possible. Is this something you can do?

• Frangeensoie
    Frangeensoie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana,

Thank you for your answer! Unfortunately, I can't update the system on this machine… Is there another way to proceed?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Frangeensoie:

Do you perhaps have another device where you are using 1Password, or is the Mac the only device you have been using?

• Frangeensoie
    Frangeensoie
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana,

No, this is not the only device. I also have a new MacBook Pro (with Catalina) to which I want to migrate my data.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Frangeensoie:

Perhaps we can try an alternative approach then. What sync method are you currently using? Do you maybe have a 1Password.com account?

• Frangeensoie
    Frangeensoie
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana,

1) I don't use any synchronization method at the moment.
    2) I created a 1Password account yesterday.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Frangeensoie:

2) I created a 1Password account yesterday.

In this case, we can use this to move your data on your existing Mac :) Here is what you should do:

1. In the 1Password 6 app on your Mac running El Capitan, login to the 1Password account that you created yesterday
    2. Move your existing data from your Primary vault to your new 1Password account
    3. On your new Mac, download and install 1Password 7
    4. In 1Password 7 on your new Mac, login to the same 1Password account

Your data will now be available in 1Password 7 on your new Mac, even if the old Mac does not support the latest version of the app ;)

• Frangeensoie
    Frangeensoie
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana,

Great! It worked! I had a hard time finding the way to connect to my account from the 1Password 6 application (I finally found the dedicated menu in the menu bar). In two days, I'm going on a trip and I absolutely had to have these passwords with me. Many thanks for your patience!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome @Frangeensoie! I am glad I could help. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day and safe travels :)

This discussion has been closed.