Please add search to the password dropdown menu

There's no search option in the dropdown menu for entering passwords, only "Suggestions, Logins ..."

This is INCREDIBLY annoying.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Dropdown no search

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dpmattos! Welcome to the forum!

Could you please elaborate on your use case here? Do you often need to only enter a password somewhere without a login? And is there a reason why you are not using the Login item directly in that case, since it is able to also enter password information on forms?

• dpmattos
    dpmattos
    Community Member

If you want to add an existing login to a website or app it's annoying when you can't search for it in the dropdown.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @dpmattos ,
    The inline menu (or dropdown as you call it) will only suggest logins/passwords if such already exist in your 1Password. It will only suggest existing logins/passwords if they have a matching URL like the URL you are currently visiting in your browser. That is a security mechanism designed to prevent phishing attempts.

You cannot autofill a password from a specific login in a different URL (e.g. you cannot autofill your Amazon password into Apple's website and vice versa).
    You will need to create a new login for the website and save it as such, so that 1Password will have a proper login with the correct URL, which in turn will allow it to suggest autofilling.

• dpmattos
    dpmattos
    Community Member

I realise that it works on the basis of the URL. I can appreciate the phishing security argument, but it's still super inconvenient. If you could make it less inconvenient that would be great. Take Amazon; I use one credential amazon.com, amazon.ca, amazon.de, amazon.nl, amazon.es, amazon.fr and amazon.co.uk because they are the same authorisation mechanism. I come across this and similar use cases a lot. The mechanism to update the URLs is super cumbersome when you're at a login page.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2020

Hey @dpmattos ,

We use the public suffix list in 1Password: https://publicsuffix.org/
    It means that 1Password should recognize when you're on the same website with different domain suffix (Amazon is a great example with .com, .uk etc), so 1Password should suggest ALL logins you have of Amazon.

Is that not what you are experiencing? If so, please try saving a new login on amazon.com, then check if it is being suggested on all other Amazon domain suffix variations.

• Electronic
    Electronic
    Community Member

As a former LastPass customer that loves one password so far I find this to be annoying as well. I had a URL change on me because they are migrating to a new website. It's just not as smooth of an experience as I'm used to using LastPass for years which offered it. I can see the reasoning behind being phished or just adding all domains however not having the disjointed experience of clicking the dash pass icon to log-in to find a saved log-in you know you have, then having to click the icon extension afterwards, sounds like it's a very minor gripe, but would be a nice quality of life change when running into this issue. For now just adding each domain seems the most logical. Although I'd still like to see it as a feature.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion here @Electronic .

Websites moving to new domains is quite a rare edge-case, and while calling 1Password in your browser is a click away (or a keyboard shortcut away), I definitely understand why you'd want such a feature, but keep in mind that most users are not as tech savvy as you, and the more we add to a UI, the more confusing it gets for them :)

Will keep it in mind though. Thanks again for writing about it here.

This discussion has been closed.