1Password 7.7 App Store [Submitted]

alexrodriguez
alexrodriguez
Community Member
edited November 2020 in Mac

Should 7.7 be available for download on the App Store yet?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @alexrodriguez,

No, we will be submitting that in the near future.

• alexrodriguez
    alexrodriguez
    Community Member

@rudy That's poor treatment for App Store users, guess its clear you don't want folks using the App Store.

• Updates through the App Store generally take longer to become available to end-users than updates through our website due to the need to submit updates through the App Store to Apple for a review before they can be made available. As Rudy mentioned, we'll be doing that shortly.

Ben

• alexrodriguez
    alexrodriguez
    Community Member

@ben Thx, I get that. Not trying to be difficult but the fact that its not even been submitted to the App Store for review, to me it says you are not 100% committed to it. I hope I am wrong.

• There are very few things I'm 100% committed to. ;) We have every intention of making 1Password 7.7 available through the App Store.

Ben

• alexrodriguez
    alexrodriguez
    Community Member

@Ben Wonderful, thank you! :)

• kvmagruder
    kvmagruder
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben - thank you for distributing 1Password through the Mac App Store. I find the Store convenient for staying up to date, and worth the slight delay. (If the features did not have close parity, I would switch to the better version and give up the convenience of the App Store, though.) I saw the announcement of version 7.7 and am very excited about the new features, particularly unlocking with an Apple Watch. Thanks for keeping up the great work!

• Thanks for the kind words! It is a very exciting update indeed. :)

Ben

• We have submitted v7.7 to Apple and it is currently in review. 🙏🏻

Ben

• loscarweb
    loscarweb
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Hi,

what is the advantage or inconvenient of using AppStore versus web version...?

I am using the appstore version, should I just keep using the none appstore version...

thanks

• @loscarweb

I'm really only aware of three differences:

1. The App Store version is reviewed by Apple and because of that review process we are sometimes able to release updates more quickly directly
    2. Updates are handled by the App Store when the app is installed from there, vs through the in-app updater when installed from our website
    3. The direct download can use the on-screen QR code scanner, whereas the App Store version cannot

Which to use is entirely up to you. I hope that helps.

Ben

• loscarweb
    loscarweb
    Community Member

@ben, thanks for the explanations

• You're welcome!

Ben

• alexrodriguez
    alexrodriguez
    Community Member

Thanks again.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• mrbeign
    mrbeign
    Community Member

If I have my subscription directly through 1Password and not Apple billing can I still use the app store version?

• You could, yes. Please be aware that you lose the ability to scan on-screen codes such as 2FA codes with the App Store version, though. Unless there is a reason to switch I'd recommend sticking with the direct download.

Ben

• winterfell
    winterfell
    Community Member

Looking forward to the App Store update for Watch unlock. Keep up the great work!

• Thanks @winterfell. The update is making its way through Apple's review process. If you get impatient you can install the update directly from our website. :)

Ben

• winterfell
    winterfell
    Community Member

It's here! Nice.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• Atle
    Atle
    Community Member

Hi,

I am getting the message "1Password can not be open during installation". I have tried to quit it completely, but I'm still not able to download the update?

Atle

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Atle:

1Password mini is probably still running in your menu bar? Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and see if you can continue the update process?

This discussion has been closed.