Categories disappeared on MacBook Pro (Catalina) 1Password (7.7 beta 13)

dcblack
dcblack
Community Member

Used to be able to see categories. Now nothing except options under View menu "Show next category"... what happened?

See screen snapshot https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwu1dutoluvgcmx/1PW-missing_categories.jpg?dl=0

1Password 7
Version 7.7.BETA-13 (70700013)
1Password Beta

1Password Version: 7.7 beta 13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Categories disappeared

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dcblack!

What happens if you click on the All Vaults dropdown menu, the one right below the red, yellow and green buttons? Do your categories appear once again if you collapse the vault menu?

• dcblack
    dcblack
    Community Member

It just toggles between a compressed Icon view and Icon plus text view.

• @dcblack

Click here, please:

That will collapse the vaults view and show you your categories.

Ben

• dcblack
    dcblack
    Community Member

Ah... I have discovered the issue and solution. When the compressed icons appear I had overlooked a bunch of smaller grey icons below. It turns out these are the category icons (not very intuitive). Hovering over them reveals their names. Just to the right, there is a vertical "scroll bar" area. If I pay careful attention while hovering there, I noticed a small arrow about mid-way down. Clicking it caused the bar to move out of the way and reveal the category names. Clicking again hides them. Apparently, I must have done this inadvertently in the past. But it is awkward that none of the menu items nor the preferences indicate anything about this "feature".

I suggest that the behavior is non-intuitive and easily confuses. The interface needs to be improved. It also violates Apple's UI principles that all features should have a menu alternative. I am certain I won't be the only one scratching my head over this.

Following snapshots explain: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/km9dpxh93tmb5yy/AAD39ItVnjLJotsEXY3etQYDa?dl=0

• Thanks @dcblack. We'll certainly keep an eye out for feedback on this. :+1:

Ben

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@Ben @dcblack "It also violates Apple's UI principles that all features should have a menu alternative." In 1Password 7.7:

—HTH

• dcblack
    dcblack
    Community Member

Hmmm... mea culpa.. Not sure how I missed that. I went back and looked. Silly me. All I can say is I scratched my head for a long time fiddling around to enable them. Maybe it's the wording. I was probably expecting the wording to be something like "Show category titles" or "Display categories". Not that your wording is wrong. It just didn't come naturally to me.

Thank you for pointing it out. Hopefully, I will remember this for future encounters.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

No worries at all @dcblack, we are here to help. And your feedback is really appreciated :)

• dcblack
    dcblack
    Community Member

Two questions (slightly off-topic):

Question 1: Is there a way to mark a topic (like this one) as "solved"? If yes, please inform me how to mark it. If no, consider this a feature request. I know this would be helpful when looking at search results to determine if a thread might have a solution or is still open. I might look at open topics to provide my inside. Perhaps if I could just rename the topic with the prefix [SOLVED]. I think this is the type of feature that makes StackOverflow so popular. It's easy to find places where the originator of a topic has solved the issue.

Question 2: Is there any way to amend a posting to correct typos or add information without creating just another comment? For example, I could save some time for future readers by moving the images on my DropBox into this discussion if I could update that post entry.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dcblack:

Question 1: Is there a way to mark a topic (like this one) as "solved"? If yes, please inform me how to mark it.

Our forum software does not currently have this capability. We can however manually close discussions if you prefer, so that noone else can comment on it.

Question 2: Is there any way to amend a posting to correct typos or add information without creating just another comment? For example, I could save some time for future readers by moving the images on my DropBox into this discussion if I could update that post entry.

Yes, you should see a little settings cog icon if you hover over a comment, in the bar with the username and date information, at the right end:

This discussion has been closed.