Multiple accounts in 1Password X

Comments

• joshm_flex
    joshm_flex
    Community Member

Hi,

I also use a personal and work account simultaneously.

If I log out of my Mac's user account, I find the native Mac App keeps me logged into both 1Password accounts.

However, I have to sign in to my second account in 1Password X (beta) for Chrome every time.

Why is there this difference?

It wasn't such an issue when you were experimenting with native/browser integrations, but now that you're working on a longer term, more robust/stable solution, it's a bit of a pain.

Any advice?

Thanks,

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @joshm_flex! 👋

Good question, and thanks for sharing your experience with me. The locking functionality of the 1Password desktop apps and 1Password X differs quite a bit. With 1Password X, you'll need to unlock each account separately unless each of your accounts have the same Master Password. That's what we recommend, actually, and that's my advice for you. We're working on providing more consistency between each of the 1Password apps we offer, and I appreciate your feedback around the different locking behavior between the 1Password desktop app and 1Password X. It's great to know what you'd like to see improved. :chuffed:

• joshm_flex
    joshm_flex
    Community Member

Thanks, @kaitlyn, for your considered and candid response.

It's so nice to see a company engaging with their user base like this. I'll be honest, I'm crazy excited for when integration comes back and I can unlock 1PAssword X with my fingerprint on my Mac.

I'm surprised that's 1Password's advice given the [slim?] chance of credential stuffing. If my personal 1Password account was compromised, I'd be seriously bummed. If my work 1Password was then also compromised because they shared the same password, I'd be in serious trouble. Granted, the risk is small, but it makes me feel uncomfortable. I think I'll wait to see what comes out in a future update.

All the very best,

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @joshm_flex ,
    Thanks for the kind words!

The only reason we recommend using the same Master Password in 1Password X is because we made sure your accounts are still secured by your Secret Key (which is different with each account).

If some malicious 3rd party were to find/steal your Master Password, they still wouldn't be able to do anything with it if they don't have your Secret Key, and even if they had the Secret Key of one account, they still wouldn't be able to access the other. That's the power of the security and encryption of the Secret Key :)

If you prefer to keep a different Master Password for each account, there are a couple of suggested workflows for you:

• You can quickly call 1Password X, lock it and unlock it with keyboard shortcuts, which will make switching between accounts easier. In Chrome, CMD+SHIFT+X will call 1Password X, then SHIFT+CMD+L to lock it, then SHIFT+CMD+X to call it again and unlock with your other account. It's quite fast when you get used to it. Here are all the keyboard shortcuts: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/#use-keyboard-shortcuts
      Once we get desktop app integration back, it would be even quicker with Touch ID :)

• You can create another user profile in your browser which will contain the other user account in 1Password X. A different user profile is like a whole new browser, with its own settings, cache, history, favorites etc. Switching between user profiles is a click away, and a great way to separate between personal life and work, so having 1Password X installed on each profile but with different accounts is definitely a good idea for some people.

I hope you'll find these suggestions helpful :)

• joshm_flex
    joshm_flex
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron that's a good point. I'd totally forgotten about the Secret Key! Thank you for the other suggestions. Really appreciated.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Glad I could help :+1:

This discussion has been closed.