Two business accounts and one family account - how to "hide" those not in use

Ziggy_Stahdust
Ziggy_Stahdust
Community Member
edited November 2020 in Business and Teams

I have a client with two business accounts and one family account but she gets terribly confused between them (don't ask me how!)...so, what I'd like to do is show her how to have only one "visible" and "active" at a time...but I can't figure out how to do that!

It creates problems as if she's unable to log in on a site, she changes the pw, then when she goes back there 1P can't decide (or she can't) which login to use....and I've needed to reset her password collection multiple times.

Is there a method to do this?

Generally using Chrome extension (but occasionally just the Win10 or iOS app).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Ziggy_Stahdust! Welcome to the forum!

Generally using Chrome extension (but occasionally just the Win10 or iOS app).

When you say the Chrome extension, do you mean the companion browser extension, or 1Password X?

• Ziggy_Stahdust
    Ziggy_Stahdust
    Community Member

1PX for the most part.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Ziggy_Stahdust:

Thank you for the confirmation. In 1Password X, the only way I know of is to toggle the account visibility inside the 1Password X settings:

It's not ideal because every time she needs to use one of these accounts, she will have to go to the settings again and enable them, but it would definitely help to make sure she doesn't get confused between accounts.

• Ziggy_Stahdust
    Ziggy_Stahdust
    Community Member

OK - that will work at least - and while not "convenient", may also stop her from screwing up her logins. Thanks.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Another option that might be useful @Ziggy_Stahdust is that currently 1Password X only unlocks any account memberships whose Master Password matches the one entered when unlocking the extension. So for example, if you have three 1Password memberships, and you have three entirely different Master Passwords for each one, then 1Password X will only unlock (and show you data from) one account at a time.

Most folks prefer things to work the other way (have all of their accounts unlock at once), and there's the risk with using multiple different Master Passwords that someone might forget one or more of them, or be confused about which Master Password is required to unlock which account... but if you can work around that, this may be of use to you. Note that our apps for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android always unlock all accounts added to the app - the above only applies to 1Password X.

• Ziggy_Stahdust
    Ziggy_Stahdust
    Community Member

Hah! Didn't know that. That's an interesting approach.

I think her problem is that she has saved the same login in more than one place (say "biz1"), then tries to use it, gets bounced, resets the password, saves it in biz1....and the next time tries to use a differently-stored login, say one that got stored in "biz2". Now she has two logins for the same site, with different passwords. At least I think that's what she'd doing!!

Thanks - both good suggestions. I'm going to have Teams convo with her and see which works best. Appreciate the suggestions.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

No problem at all! If she has data spread across multiple accounts, and is now unsure as to which data is valid and accurate and which data is not, then ultimately she may need to just spend some time looking at all of the items she has for a particular site, evaluate which ones are valid and which are not, and ensure she just has one copy of the credentials for that site. If she has multiple credentials for a single site (e.g., she has two Google accounts, one for personal use and one for work or something), then she may also want to consider editing the titles of those items to make it clear what they relate to - e.g., "Google Personal" and "Google Work").

And if she ultimately decides that she doesn't need three 1Password accounts, and would like any help with consolidating things, then she can always reach out to us via our contact page, and we'll be happy to help her out.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.