Saved form details v 7.7 [Moved to edit mode]

Options
MalB
MalB
Community Member
edited November 2020 in Mac

On 1Password desktop v7.7 I can only see 'Saved form details' in Edit mode which doesn't seem appropriate just to copy. I may be missing the obvious but where do I find 'Saved form details' in a safer place to simply copy, which I do almost daily?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: macOS Big Sur v 11.0.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Saved form details v7.7

Comments

• MalB
    MalB
    Community Member
    Options

Am I the only one that cannot see 'Saved form details' properly in v7.7 ?

• cyberzeus
    cyberzeus
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

No - I have this issue as well. Old passwords are also just gone even when in edit mode. Checked the release notes and nothing like this is mentioned so this must be a defect and definitely a serious issue...

• Ben
    Options

Hi all,

Saved form details has intentionally been moved to edit mode. Most folks will never need to know about or interact directly with the saved form details, and so it is no longer displayed in the main portion ('item details') of the UI.

Password history has also been relocated:

I hope that helps.

Ben

• cyberzeus
    cyberzeus
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

Just learned that this was all intended - beyond puzzling. The support person told me "Most people...don't ever need to know about or interact with Saved Form data". Hopefully the absurdity of this statement is self-evident...

Where's that Dashlane trial again???

• Ben
    Options

@cyberzeus

The support person told me

That would be me. :)

Hopefully the absurdity of this statement is self-evident...

It isn't. Could you please elaborate?

Ben

• cyberzeus
    cyberzeus
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm...I guess it's not self-evident. OK, the basics then...how would you even know that most people do not need to know about or interact directly with the Saved Form data?

• Ben
    Options

Because if they did we'd have a flood of inquiries about it, and we haven't. :) What do you find you need to interact with the form data for?

Ben

• cyberzeus
    cyberzeus
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

And even if that were true...which I am sure is completely unknown...why would that justify a massive UI change that not only makes getting at that data harder, but makes it more vulnerable when it is accessed?

How was the previous UI an issue? How is the app better without this data being accessible in RO mode? Why not add a Prefs knob where a user (NOT the dev) can determine what data is accessible via their UI?

Again, the adage I mentioned in my email back to you, if it isn't broken, then don't go messing about...

And while I'm on a roll here, here's another - First do no harm...

• Ben
    Options

I'll be happy to record your feedback for the development team's further consideration. :+1:

Ben

• cyberzeus
    cyberzeus
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

"Because if they did we'd have a flood of inquiries about it, and we haven't."

The fact that the dev\support team thinks this is the way to determine what users want is also absurd...and it defies explanation. This is one of those where you either get it or you don't...clearly Agile doesn't.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the thoughts, @cyberzeus.

Ben

• cyberzeus
    cyberzeus
    Community Member
    Options

BTW - in the future, when you guys make these kind of sweeping UI changes, you really should (a) warn users so they can prepare; (b) put the changes in the release notes.

• MalB
    MalB
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, I use 'Saved form details' almost daily. I'm puzzled as to where else I'd keep the answers to multiple memorable questions that are required by some financial institutions for every login. I'm very concerned at having to go to 'Edit' mode to access important data. Unless I'm missing something, I respectfully suggest that this needs to be reconsidered please.

• cyberzeus
    cyberzeus
    Community Member
    Options

@MalB - As you can tell from my other comments, I completely agree with you - but Agile made the grand decision to remove this so here's a suggestion.

Consider moving all of the data you have in the Saved Form details to a different section in the UI. Most, if not all, of the data should migrate with no issue and this feature is probably safe for at least the time being. But given how this was handled, I also wouldn't be surprised if Sections were removed without notice at some point so at the end of the day, users like us may need to find a new solution... :=(

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for sharing that use case, folks. Indeed as cyberzeus mentioned Custom Sections would be the supported place to store security questions, and storing them there would make them much more accessible:

Customize your 1Password items

In fact security questions are the primary example we use when talking about custom sections/fields. :) Storing them as form details is a bit risky as updates the website makes to the form may cause them to be overwritten. I'd highly recommend moving this sort of data into custom fields instead of form details.

Ben

• cyberzeus
    cyberzeus
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

@Ben I think the part of this Agile is not seeing is that prior to having the Sections\Fields, the only way users could store supplementary information was either in the Notes section or in the Saved Form details data. Many of us are long time 1PW users and have employed the latter method to store a variety of info above and beyond website security questions. I even discussed this very set of topics back in July and you were part of that thread.

Also in that discussion was a brief bit about using choosing to not use browser extensions which Agile seems to think is anomalous behavior - it isn't - especially for security conscious folks. I've used 1PW for 13+ years and never installed a single browser extension...I truly see zero need and prefer to manually copy\paste my credentials. I mentions this all because of your statement above:

"Storing them as form details is a bit risky as updates the website makes to the form may cause them to be overwritten"

As far as I know, this is only true if a user uses a browser extensions. Using 1PW the way I do, there is no communication between websites and the 1PW app...hence no chance of being overwritten.

All of this is to try and illustrate to Agile that they should try and do better to understand all use-cases and to help users migrate behavior when you want us to rather than surprise us with an update that can be quite disruptive.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for clarifying your setup @cyberzeus. And once again, we appreciate your feedback :+1:

• MalB
    MalB
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I agree with everything that cyberzeus said in the previous post about the Sections\Fields. I'm also a long term user of 1Password and stopped using extensions a long time ago, so like cyberzeus, I manually copy and paste my credentials. Custom sections/fields kinda crept up on me but I'll now move my precious 'Saved form details' as suggested. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.