1password extension in Yandex browser has stopped working after upgrade to version 7

Hi,

I was using 1password 6 for more than a year and had absolutely no troubles with it until I purchased version 7.
For some reason, extension in Yandex browser has stopped working. The extension is installed, and the extension button is visible, but 1password window which is showed after I press Cmd+Option+\ shortcut is not synced with an opened website and even if I search login manually and press "open and fill" button it only opens a new tab in the browser with a website, but don't fill login and password there.

Do you have any ideas what's wrong?

Best :)

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 7 yandex browser

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @s303,

Unfortunately Yandex is no longer a supported browser. The shift to native messaging in 1Password 6.8 for Mac started a discussion about code signature verification, the ability to opt in or out and what browsers should be supported. After a lively debate the decision taken was that the native client will always enforce the code signature verification check and any browser not on the internal whitelist will be refused. Currently the list of supported browsers is:

• Safari (macOS only)
    • Edge (Windows only)
    • Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Vivaldi
    • Opera
    • Brave

It is extremely unlikely that this list will see changes any time soon. We are not saying a browser not on this list is untrustworthy, all we're saying is it is an unknown and as 1Password is a security product we treat all unknowns as potentially hostile. I fully appreciate this is not what you will have wanted to hear as I do appreciate browser preference often elicits a passionate response.

• s303
    s303
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Unfortunately Yandex is no longer a supported browser.

Oh it's very sad to hear that, especially because it was supported in version 6. Why such a decision was taken?
    Is it a temporary situation that will be addressed in visible future? Otherwise it does not make sense to me to use 1password 7 anymore, and I would like to cancel my version 7 purchase and roll back to version 6.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@s303: Feel free to email sales@1password.com if you've purchased 1Password 7 in the last 30 days and we can process a refund for you. We don't have plans to support Yandex at this time. Our focus is on the major browsers, which we're able to vet thoroughly.

• ErBlack
    ErBlack
    Community Member

So, what can i do if i subscribed to the Family plan? Move to another password manager?

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ErBlack. If you're not willing to use any of the supported browsers, and having the extension work in the Yandex browser is an imperative, you might want to consider a password manager that fits your needs. Having said that, I hope this isn't a dealbreaker, and that you'll stick with us for a long time. :)

However, if you'd like a refund, please check whether you meet the conditions listed on our refund policy page.

• ErBlack
    ErBlack
    Community Member

Sad news. Especially when you consider that it works few days ago. And Yandex Browser is exactly the same chromium based browser like crome, opera, vivaldi and even next year Microsoft Edge. And only problem is "Refusing helper connection from because of untrusted publisher YANDEX LLC".

Checkbox like "Please trust publishers that AgileBits don't want to trust" in settings can solve my problem anyway

Btw, guys from Yandex even contributes in chromium https://codereview.chromium.org/12951014/

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

I understand and respect your sentiment, @ErBlack. We might revisit this decision in the future, but for now, Yandex will remain unsupported.

Having said that, I did some poking and prodding with Yandex, and was able to seamlessly install and use our standalone extension, 1Password X. The reason it works is because it doesn't have to communicate with the native app, and therefore not having to go through code signature checks. Having said that, 1Password X requires you to have a 1Password account. If you have one, install it from the Chrome Web Store and you'll be good to go. :)

Hope that helps at least a little bit.

• ErBlack
    ErBlack
    Community Member

Offtopic. Is 1PasswordX are Windows Hello friendly?

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

@ErBlack Unfortunately not (yet). As a Windows user, this is something I desperately want to see as well. We're experimenting with implementing Windows Hello and Touch ID, but I can't give you any dates or promises.

• ErBlack
    ErBlack
    Community Member

No promises in dev. I'n understend)
    Hope you will trust yabro again later.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, @ErBlack! :)

• Alexander999
    Alexander999
    Community Member

Dear in Russian many people use Yandex - pls give it support, because 40 millions people who use Yandex browser -can to use 1Password. I very sad to herd this informations, I've bought today 1password and give this problem(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As mentioned above, 1Password X will work there if you choose to use it. We do not have plans to whitelist additional browsers to communicate with the desktop app at this time.

• ErBlack
    ErBlack
    Community Member

Why?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ErBlack:

I suppose you are referring to brenty's last post, correct? If that's the case, the answer is that it's because we decided to support the most used browsers. Other browsers have low usage rates and we cannot justify the time spent on supporting them at the moment. Perhaps things will change in the future, but currently, as brenty said, we don't have any plans to do it.

• ErBlack
    ErBlack
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

I see. It's seems to be reasonably. I understand that supporting each browser costs a lot.

But i don't ask about support. In fact i'm just want to know why extension should not work with browser, even if it could work there.

I'd like do decide which browser to trust. Even without any support.

Now you force me to change my main browser, which i use since 2014. With tons of history bookmarks etc. Or you force me to change 1Password, for which I pay 60$ annually. And I don't see any alternatives for it on the market at all.

This whole situation repeat itself on mobile device.

I wouldn't have any questions if the extension was broken in my browser. But it's disabled. And it makes my everyday life a bit painful. And sometimes a lot painful. It makes me unhappy.

I don't need support. I need workaround)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ErBlack:

I don't need support. I need workaround)

I am afraid that the workaround is to use one of our supported browsers.

• ruslanys
    ruslanys
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

@ErBlack
    The workaround I see is to use 1Password X. Just a browser extension that works. I was using LastPass for a while and it has no good native app, therefore I had no other options.
    So, not a bad workaround.

@ag_ana @brenty
    However, I disagree with the statement "we decided to support the most used browsers".
    First of all, how big the challenge you faced with YandexBrowser is?
    The second point is that YandexBrowser is one of the most popular ones in Russia and among Russian-speaking users of 1Password.
    Yandex is a pretty open company. Here is their report about the technologies based on the data fetched by YandexMetrika (Google Analitycs alternative) – https://radar.yandex.ru/browsers.
    And the data tells us there is 21% of users from Russia are using YandexBrowser.

So. Based on the statistic, your statement about YandexBrowsers sound like [expletives removed by 1Password staff, this is a family-friendly forum]  And we do not plan to support you.".
    This is exactly what I understand from the messages from 1Password support.
    And this is a disaster. I just migrated from LastPass to 1Password and become happy. 1Password is definitely the best Passwords Manager ever. But such a relation to the problem of its users, cutting the good feelings down.

PRESS F

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ruslanys:

Welcome to the forum! I have taken the liberty to remove the expletives from your post: this is a family-friendly forum, please help us keep it that way. Thank you!

I certainly believe that YandexBrowser is popular in Russia. However we need to focus on browsers that are the most popular all over the world. And even in Russia, it looks like only 21% of users are using it, which mean that the majority is using other browsers, so I understand why our developers are currently focused on the existing list of supported browsers. And I think there is no doubt that other browsers such as Chrome are more popular overall (Wikipedia has a nice table about this).

First of all, how big the challenge you faced with YandexBrowser is?

There is also a security explanation for this, our security team wrote about this here.

Perhaps some day we will be able to add more browsers to the list, but I am afraid that at the moment this is not on our radar, sorry!

• stan01x
    stan01x
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

@ag_ana

"And I think there is no doubt that other browsers such as Chrome are more popular overall (Wikipedia has a nice table about this)."

where's Vivaldi and Brave on the list Wikipedia?
    why do you support them, but yandex doesn't

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited October 2020

Hello @stan01x,

The popularity of a browser is certainly important. However, we must also consider other factors, such as reliability. For example, Opera is quite popular because most of the users are Chinese, and we know that there are more than 1.4 billion people in China. However, we decided to stop officially supporting Opera for some questionable actions regarding users' security. Opera still work with 1Password because they haven't changed the code signature of their browser.

That being said, we understand that Yandex is one of the more popular browsers in Russia, but there are other things we must consider.

Currently, 1Password X is the only option for Yandex. Once you get used to 1Password X, you might not want to switch back to 1Password 7. The only downside of 1Password X I can think of is not having the ability to unlock with touchID or Windows Hello, but we are looking into it. If things go smoothly, we might have a remedy for that issue soon, so please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features we offer.

• stan01x
    stan01x
    Community Member

@nhat_1P

ok, I switched to the Russian Kaspersky Password Manager, they do not consider the Yandex browser to be dangerous, they did not find the poison "novichok" and Chinese hackers who elect American presidents)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stan01x:

I am sorry to hear that you switched, but thank you for letting us know. I hope the tool you chose meets your expectations with regards to this.

• ruslanys
    ruslanys
    Community Member

@stan01x Ha! I would not be so sure about Kaspersky Password Manager)))
    I'm sad to tell you that, but Jesus, Russians have been caught already many times for the last few years. Even with poison "Novichok" and election invasion.
    I even heard questions about some "Kaspersky Antivirus" actions.
    So, again. I'm very sorry to tell you this, but the truth is that with the existing situation doing so and provide Yandex Browser support is not a very unsafe action.
    I know that Yandex is a pretty open company and trying to keep far away from politics and stuff. But, you know... It's still the biggest IT company in Russia and it makes a lot of sense.

I do experience the inconvenience of using Password X as well, and I'm sharing your emotions about 1Password 7 support, but it might be the only way to secure your confidential information.
    Would you like to exchange your confidence and confidence of all users of 1Password+YandexBrowser to the support of the 1Password native app?
    Think about it. Cheers.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in @ruslanys . :+1:

This discussion has been closed.