1password not working with Big Sur Firefox on new MBA with M1 chip.

KMWAZ
KMWAZ
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

It appears to install but does not function. Can't log in with icon, "Command ." also not working. I know FIrefox is using Rosetta not sure if that's the issue or? At this point just trying to manage my expectations.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5
OS Version: 11.0.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password not working with Big Sur Firefox

Comments

• amon
    amon
    Community Member

same. it can be installed, but it just block Firefox

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @KMWAZ and @amon ,
    It sounds like you have 1Password X installed in Firefox (according to your description of the CMD+Period shortcut).

If your Firefox's privacy settings are too strict, 1Password may not be able to function properly. Please try setting Firefox's privacy to "Standard" and make sure that "Always use private browsing" is turned off and test to see if 1Password starts working then. If it does, try adjusting your privacy setting as you wish, but you'll have to keep "Always use private browsing" off.

• amon
    amon
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron, So appreciated for your reply
    Yes, I have 1Password.app installed in my M1 chip Mac machine and I have tried to install 1PasswordX in Firefox.
    I'm sure about my Firefox's privacy setting is "standard" and I didn't use "Always use private browsing" mode.
    But every time I tried to install 1PasswordX, Firefox blocked until I restart Firefox and uninstall 1PasswordX.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional info @amon .

Can you please try creating a new user profile in Firefox, install only 1Password X in it and see if that works correctly?
    1. Create a new use profile: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles
    2. Switch to the new profile.
    3. Install 1Password X in it: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1password-x-password-manager/
    4. Test and see if it works as it should.
    5. Go back to your main profile if you'd like.

If it works corretly on a new profile, then something in your main profile is causing the issue. It could be a Firefox setting, a cache issue or a 3rd party extension. Let me know what you find.

• KMWAZ
    KMWAZ
    Community Member

@ag_yaron - same here everything is set as you suggested already, still not working.

• But every time I tried to install 1PasswordX, Firefox blocked until I restart Firefox and uninstall 1PasswordX.

Could you please let us know what you mean by 'blocked'? Are you getting an error message? If so, what is the exact text of that error message?

Thanks!

Ben

• nod032
    nod032
    Community Member

Same is happening to me. I can install it on Firefox but it won't open. When it tries to open up the extension, Firefox freezes as a whole and I have to force quit

• @nod032

Could you please let us know if this is happening with the 1Password X extension, or with 1Password extension (desktop app required)? It sounds like the others here are using the latter; I just want to be sure we're on the same page.

Ben

• nod032
    nod032
    Community Member

1Password X doesn't work. 1Password extension works fine

• KMWAZ
    KMWAZ
    Community Member

Same here. X doesn't work but right click menu works fine.

• amon
    amon
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

@ag_yaron Sorry for delayed
    I tried what you said but 1PasswordX doesn't work. when 1PasswordX extension installed it just freeze like pic below.

Thanks @Ben. Sorry for confusing. actually I mean freeze. but when I use a new profile, 1PasswordX Tab freeze(like above the process icon in the center of window circles forever), other tabs just works fine. When I use my default profile, other tabs freeze too

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional information guys.

It looks like the tab that freezes is the welcome screen of 1Password X. You can close it, open a different tab and sign into your account at https://my.1password.com, at which point 1Password X will show a popup on the top right corner asking if you'd like to add that account. Confirm and add it, and see if 1Password X works properly then.

Let us know if that worked.

• amon
    amon
    Community Member

Thanks for your suggestion @ag_yaron.
    But what you said can not happen.
    because if 1PasswordX is installed in Firefox, Firefox just freeze every time I start it. I can't open a new tab to sign into my account.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I see, thanks for clarifying.
    We are trying to reproduce the issue here without success.

Perhaps you would be able to open Firefox’s console, then install 1Password X and see if any errors show up in the console while Firefox freezes?

• amon
    amon
    Community Member

@ag_yaron Thanks for your patient help.
    I will give up Firefox for now.

• Hey @amon. On behalf of Yaron, you're very welcome. If you want to pick it back up at any time, we'll be here to continue the conversation. It could just be that Firefox needs a bit of time to adjust to the new architecture but it would be good to find that out definitively. :smile:

• amon
    amon
    Community Member

Hi @ag_michaelc 1PasswordX work amazing well on chrome 87(arm64). It's good enough for now. Look forward to Firefox's update.
    Thank you guys so much for your words and amazing Products

• Sounds good, @amon. I hope you're enjoying that fancy new Mac — I'm a bit envious! :sunglasses:

• smbm
    smbm
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

I have tried this too.

Firefox 83 (using Rosetta2) trying to open 1PasswordX (from FF addons, not Beta) causes it to freeze and have to be force killed.
    Firefox 84b3 (Native) 1PasswordX (from FF addons, not Beta) opens okay, but causes a crash after putting in unlock password and hitting enter.

Happy to perform any debug steps needed if you can talk me through them.

• smbm
    smbm
    Community Member

Just tried the Beta 1PasswordX addon with FF 84b3 (Native) and it appears to be behaving the same way. I suspect there is FF instability here too as it is also a beta.

• Hey @smbm. What specifically crashes — Firefox?

• smbm
    smbm
    Community Member

Yes, Firefox crashes when trying to unlock 1PasswordX, Firefox then generates a crash report.

Should I be opening a ticket with Firefox instead?

• Hey @smbm. I'm not 100% on this; my inclination is yes, but I do want to confirm, so I'm waiting on one of my developer friends to take a peek at this with me. Thanks for your patience!

• smbm
    smbm
    Community Member

Thanks for your time investigating. If you need any crash reports or traces or anything let me know. I should be able to reproduce it.

• Hello @smbm,

Thank you for your understanding. We will let you know if we need anything and when we have anything new from the development team.

• smbm
    smbm
    Community Member

Firefox has just updated to 84b5 and the nature of the problem has changed, now I can enter my unlock password and it does not immediately crash FF, however when I want to interact with 1PasswordX the extension drop down window is blank and so are the ones for the other extensions.

To me, it appears as if the problem is more with FF than 1PasswordX.

Just wanted to keep you up to date.

• Hello @smbm,

Thank you very much for getting back. It is great to hear that everything works after updating Firefox. I am glad that Firefox fixed their issue so quickly. I will let my team know. Please feel free to give me a shout if you need anything, and have a great week.

• smbm
    smbm
    Community Member

Thanks. Yeah good that the crashes have stopped. I am hoping that work progresses with FF to stabilise the plugin situation as some of the others (including Mozilla ones) are affected too, there does already seem to be an issue open for it with them though.

The only other thing I needed advice on is seriously off topic from this thread so I will contact support directly (upgrading to Family Plan halfway through a year I have already paid for personal plan for).

• smbm
    smbm
    Community Member

I am not 100% sure but I think there still may be an issue with 1PasswordX in FF (now 84b6) on Apple Silicon, as opposed to the issues being purely with FF as I previously suspected.

(I don't have other platforms to do control tests on at the moment).

Although it no longer crashes straight away it is very unstable and seems to affect the stability of the other plugins I am using.

I also use Privacy Badger and the 2 Mozilla browser container add-ons, these 3 plugins all work fine until I try to use 1PasswordX, after this point all the UI from all the plugins shows up blank or does not open fully.

At some point a little later the browser as a whole will likely get itself into an unusable state and I have to force kill.

I have tried the Mozilla Addons store version and the beta from your site of 1PasswordX and both exhibit very similar behaviour.

The 1Password plugin that relies on the full desktop version on 1Password is working fine at the moment but is not my preferred choice.

Thanks again.

• smbm
    smbm
    Community Member

I found a relevant bug on Bugzilla and have commented linking this thread:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1678805

Not sure if there is anything there that helps?

This discussion has been closed.