Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@uu_sharkey So far our announcement hasn't changed and we're still aiming towards the end of the year, but as always, we don't set dates and deadlines as we don't believe in releasing something that is not 100% ready :)

If anything changes, we'll let everyone know here.

• geeduhb
    geeduhb
    Community Member

I was just today noticing that my 1PasswordX was no longer prompting for Touch ID, after using my computer in clamshell mode from home for a while now. I am always extremely pleased to be able to come here and quickly figure out what my issue is, so I obviously quickly found this thread. I, too, am disappointed that the feature is no longer available in the beta. However, I absolutely understand the decision and can't at all fault the call, especially as it was always a beta feature. So take your time, release the feature when it is cooked and ready and we will all survive!

I have said this before, but I again wanted to reiterate how amazing the 1Password team is and how useful this Support Community is as well. It is such a breath of fresh air to always quickly get responses directly from the development team, even when it is no doubt tough to deal with direct criticism and anger from disappointed users. The courteous, detailed responses in this thread alone to almost every post, not mater how many times the same type of suggestion/complaint/comment has been made, is a testament to the culture of the company.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you, in what has obviously been a tough thread. Your work is very much appreciated. There are not very many tech companies who so openly communicate directly to their customers, so the 1Password team's candor is very admirable. The customer service alone is a huge selling point to using 1Password.

• geeduhb
    geeduhb
    Community Member

I was just today noticing that my 1PasswordX was no longer prompting for Touch ID, after using my computer in clamshell mode from home for a while now. I am always extremely pleased to be able to come here and quickly figure out what my issue is, so I obviously quickly found this thread. I, too, am disappointed that the feature is no longer available in the beta. However, I absolutely understand the decision and can't at all fault the call, especially as it was always a beta feature. So take your time, release the feature when it is cooked and ready and we will all survive!

I have said this before, but I again wanted to reiterate how amazing the 1Password team is and how useful this Support Community is as well. It is such a breath of fresh air to always quickly get responses directly from the development team, even when it is no doubt tough to deal with direct criticism and anger from disappointed users. The courteous, detailed responses in this thread alone to almost every post, not mater how many times the same type of suggestion/complaint/comment has been made, is a testament to the culture of the company.

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you, in what has obviously been a tough thread. Your work is very much appreciated. There are not very many tech company's who so openly communicate directly to their customers, so the 1Password team's candor is very admirable. The customer service alone is a huge selling point to using 1Password.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @geeduhb ,

Thank you very much for the kind words and for seeing the bigger picture! We really appreciate it.
    If you have any questions or need anything at all, we're always here to help :)

• Penguinlay
    Penguinlay
    Community Member

Yeah, I'm using this even when my work provides a different password manager service subscription for free cuz I love this a lot and the response here is usually really quick! As long as they don't change their primary color away from sky blue, I can wait for a better product for some time in the future as it's worth the wait! 😅

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Penguinlay ,

Our color scheme always revolved around blue-ish hues, there are definitely no plans to change that :)
    Thanks for the support and kind words!

• onepwdusr
    onepwdusr
    Community Member

Folks any approximate timeline on when this is expected? I eagerly read the release notes for each Beta only to find that the desktop integration is not yet back! :(

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @onepwdusr ,
    No news yet unfortunately. We assure you we will post it here and announce any new information as soon as we have it!

Thanks for checking in on this.

• codeknight
    codeknight
    Community Member

Chiming in here in the hope of getting some kind of notification. 3 months without Touch ID so far is really annoying. It would have been far better for users to leave it in until the new feature was ready.

• You're right, @codeknight, that would have been great. As a heavy 1Password user myself with Touch ID I would have loved if we could have done exactly that. 🙂

I held the line for months as I loved this feature but higher up in this thread I elaborated on why we needed to make the change sooner than we'd otherwise like:

The other part that is forcing our hand is on the technical side of things. Having two implementations of the same feature running concurrently is a tricky situation at the best of times. It's usually a mix of feature flags and release flags and while it sounds easy on the surface it often ends up being difficult in practice. In this case specifically it's even more challenging as the current implementation of Desktop App Integration is written in Golang and the new implementation is written in Rust. This required us to have two separate toolchains in our build and release process, which weighed things down greatly.

>

Interestingly enough we have been attempting to do exactly what you suggested over the previous several few months. Our hope was to be able to keep supporting the old while designing the new and then flipping a switch to enable the new implementation without missing a beat. It was a good goal and would have been incredible if we were able to pull it off. Ultimately it was taking longer than we wanted and during this time the experience of the existing implementation was becoming untenable for everyone involved.

We're slowly but surely making progress and I'm greatly looking forward to the return of this feature. I can't share any specifics just yet but I can say that I've been reviewing merge requests that are getting us closer to this goal.

Thanks again for helping us test out experimental features like this one and helping to move us forward. 🤗

• bradpinkston
    bradpinkston
    Community Member

Bummed and jealous of Safari users right now. 1Password 7.7 with Safari is pretty much the answer to everything I'm looking for with TouchID and the inline form fill experience. Great release. Now get back behind the keyboards and enable it for us Chrome users!!!! ;)

Great job guys.

• Thanks @bradpinkston! I agree — if I wasn't so heavily invested in Chrome at this point I'd probably switch to Safari. :)

Ben

• nosajis
    nosajis
    Community Member

Please bring it back!

• t20n
    t20n
    Community Member

Very much looking forward to getting back that feature.

does anyone know if there's a way to downgrade 1password and the extension to the last version this was working???

• rekoil
    rekoil
    Community Member

Now that the 7.7 release is out of the way, are you able to share a roadmap going forward regarding putting back this sorely missed feature?

You know, most things like this you learn to live with it right? But unlocking my vault (which used to be a quarter of a second double tap of my watches action button, and shared unlock state with the app so there was also fewer needed unlocks) now takes up a measurable amount of time every single workday, and I just can't help but think "we had this solved" every single time... I wouldn't be surprised if I found I've spent a full hour or two unlocking my 1Password vault since the removal of this feature.

• @nosajis: When it's ready, it'll be here! Hopefully sooner rather than later, but we won't release it until it's ready.

@t20n: We cannot in good conscious advocate for downgrading the extension to an older version. 1Password is a security product and keeping it on an old version isn't something we can support.

@rekoil: As Dave mentioned a few comments up, we're making good progress. :smile:

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

Just doing my monthly check in with this topic to check for updates. Very happy to wait for a feature I used soooo much. I'm sure it'll be great. I just get worried i'm going to miss the launch of the new version. I just keep checking this topic.

I don't think it's healthy for everyone to constantly ask for an update as, as the above post says, "When it's ready, it'll be here!". That should be enough for everyone. I want it right now just like everyone, but we just have to be patient and wait.

I'm sure the devs are hard at work on it and even if their target release date slips, we all know it'll be well worth the wait when it finally drops.

Right, see you all next month when I check in for an update!

Neil

• burjoes
    burjoes
    Community Member

RCTNEIL: why not just use regular 1Password and the Chrome extension? That combo supports TouchID now. What is it that is so great about 1Password X that you would prefer it over having Touch ID?

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

@burjoes That's exactly what I am doing right now. I'm more than happy to wait as I stated above. I was more just getting frustrated with the number of people moaning about it. I understand their frustrations as I share them but there's no point in compaining more and more at 1PW. They are doing their best!

:-)

• Thank you @rctneil, I appreciate your patience. 🤗 With that said, I'm happy to hear people sharing their frustrations with us as it shows how much they care. ❤️ It would be much worse if we removed this feature and no body noticed. 🙂

With tomorrow being December 1st, now feels like a good time to give an update here. I can't share any specifics on dates yet as there's enough uncertainty remaining that I'm likely to get things wrong, but I will say that we are going to miss my original estimate that I posted earlier in this thread. I had hoped we'd be able to return this feature back to Mac users by the end of the year but that isn't going to happen. In many ways we're close, and in others we're much further away.

2020 has been a unique year in so many ways, and while I'm not happy to be talking about 2021 for this feature, I am proud of how hard the team has been pushing given all the headwinds we've seen so far in 2020.

In terms of our rollout strategy, we're attempting something different this time around. Early next year we'll be bringing 1Password X integration to our Linux beta and then rolling out to the other platforms later. There's a lot of reasons we're choosing Linux to be the first to receive this new feature but the main one is the entire backend for our new Linux app is written in Rust and will integrate nicely with the toolchain we're using in 1Password X. You can read the 1Password for Linux beta release post for more details.

I'm naturally optimistic when it comes to software estimates so take this with a grain of salt, but I have high hopes that the Linux release will integrate nicely with 1Password X and most importantly, provide the level of reliability we've been looking for. Assuming it does, we'll be looking to bring this to Windows and Mac shortly afterwards.

One tidbit that may interest everyone here and give a glimpse into how close we are is 1Password X integration will be part of our external code audit next week. We run regular audits on the 1Password codebase and next week Cure53 will be once again reviewing our code and we've asked them to pay special attention to the newly added 1Password X integration code.

We're getting closer every week and I do believe we'll have a present ready for everyone in the not too distant future. 🤞

Take care,

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• bradpinkston
    bradpinkston
    Community Member

I'm curious about the next step of my 1Password journey and if this new integration will help when it arrives. If I need to post this elsewhere, please direct me.

I work on multiple laptops and on my main laptop I use multiple Chrome personalities. Having the TouchID integration when using my main laptop and normal personality is critical because I have to reauthenticate often. Today, when I transition to a different Chrome identity I use 1PasswordX and have to password authenticate and that is fine, because the added security is worth the added security.

Where my question about the future comes in is around the multiple laptop piece. Chrome synchs my extensions from my main laptop to the less utilized ones. The 1Password extension it synchs today is useless on any laptop that doesn't have the full 1Password desktop utility.

Will the new strategy for 1PasswordX help with this where I can TouchID on my main "trusted" laptop, sync 1PasswordX extsnion to the less utilized laptops and login via password? Different sync engines in play here.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @bradpinkston ,
    The integration will definitely help your situation, since 1Password X will work with both Touch ID and password authentication. So where you have the desktop app installed, Touch ID will work, and on laptops you don't have the desktop app - you'll need to authenticate with your Master Password.

If you have further questions, feel free to open a new discussion in the 1Password X forum :)

• snivscriv
    snivscriv
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

I recently migrated over from Lastpass because of repeated frustrations with their software bugs, and I've generally been happy with what I found here, with one major exception. Despite many hours of reading support posts and listening to videos, I remain as confused as h*** about your very, very confusing array of apps for various platforms, what each does, and how they integrate--or don't!--with each other.
    You really need one place where you spell out in detail what the differences are between each app and the platform it serves. And based on what I've seen, this problem has been going on for years. I can understand that complicated problems take a long time to resolve, but you badly need an up-to-date web page where you clearly tell consumers what your various products can do right now. If you have such a page, and I'm not talking about a two minute video that glosses over everything, I sure haven't found it. Sorry for the rant, but its very frustrating for what is a consumer product that ordinary people are supposed to be able to use without a computer science degree.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @snivscriv ,

What you are describing is exactly why we are re-writing this feature, along with many other major changes to our apps and clients across platform - to unify their UI/UX and provide the exact same product on all platforms to make things less confusing. Our end goal is to have a single app and a single extension that will work flawlessly together.

Thanks for the feedback here, much appreciated! Keep your apps up to date and stay tuned :)

• snivscriv
    snivscriv
    Community Member

Thanks for your response. It sounds like a long-term project. In the meantime, a single page somewhere that explains what each app does now would be very welcome. I look forward to being able to use my fingerprint to open 1password x at some point.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

It is indeed a long-term project @snivscriv , but It also started a long time ago so much progress has already been made :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll forward it to the team.

• anprieto
    anprieto
    Community Member

Hi, is there an ETA for having fingerprint in 1password X chrome add in?

• burjoes
    burjoes
    Community Member

How does one unsubscribe to email notifications about this thread? The email notification doesn’t say how and I’ve looked several times in the forum website.

• Hi @anprieto

The latest update is here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/579493/#Comment_579493

Early next year we'll be bringing 1Password X integration to our Linux beta and then rolling out to the other platforms later.

@burjoes

Unfortunately you can't unsubscribe to an individual thread, but you can unsubscribe from notifications to all threads in https://1password.community/profile/preferences/ by unchecking the email column for 'Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in.'

Ben

This discussion has been closed.