Just a heads up on a recurring install problem

romad
romad
Community Member

Whenever I try to update 1Password internally, it gets to the "Extracting archive" step then after several minutes it crashes. Then I get an error that 1Password couldn't be quit. I then manually quit 1Password, but since it is now shutdown, I can no longer do an internal update. I then download the latest version and install it. Of course doing it that way, means I have to reinstall the browser extensions (with Safari sometimes refusing to play nice).

Any possible idea as to why 1Password refuses to update via the internal process?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romad!

Do you see any error message when 1Password crashes?

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Only the couldn't be quit message. It is actually the install process that crashes (or locks up), apparently when trying to quit 1Password.

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member

I had the same issue and managed to install the update through direct download from the agile bits website and not through the AppStore. At the second time, it worked but, unfortunately, this update is totally buggy under MACos Big Sur so I do not recommend to upgrade at this stage!

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@Didiko, then it is good my iMac can't go past High Sierra!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@romad:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Didiko:

At the second time, it worked but, unfortunately, this update is totally buggy under MACos Big Sur so I do not recommend to upgrade at this stage!

What issues are you experiencing? I am also using 1Password 7.7 with Big Sur and things are working for me, so I will be happy to test thing for you. Please open a new forum discussion with all the details and I will take a look :+1:

• markw65
    markw65
    Community Member

I hit the same install problem. The install (via App Store) repeatedly failed saying it couldn't close 1password. I tried quitting 1password and safari, and rebooting (without the "reopen apps on restart" option), but it kept failing the same way.

Looking at Activity Monitor, "1Password Extension Helper" was the one thing that was always running (and if I used activity monitor to force it to quit, a new process started up immediately).

I eventually got the install to succeed by hitting the settings button (cog-wheel) in the top right of the 1password mini app, and choosing "Quit 1Password Completely". I never knew that option was there... putting it somewhere more obvious (like in the main app's menu) would make it easier to find; but automatically "Quitting 1Password Completely" during an install seems like the right solution...

Now that its installed, I've not noticed any issues.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Ticket #DZY-65737-267 and I replied to Tom Majewski's email.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@markw65:

I think what you are reporting is a different thing, which can indeed be fixed by completely quitting 1Password, not just the main app but also mini. Thank you however for adding the suggestion here, I am sure it will be useful to other users who stumble on the same experience ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@romad:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: I will let you continue the conversation with Tom :)

ref: DZY-65737-267

• TeamLevine
    TeamLevine
    Community Member

Submitted ticket re this... #CMD-91667-158

• @TeamLevine

I was able to locate your ticket. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: CMD-91667-158

This discussion has been closed.