1Password 7 or 1Password X ?

Stibble
Stibble
Community Member
edited October 2020 in Families

I have just upgraded from a licensed 1P 6 to a 1P 7 Family subscription. I was trying to find out how to adjust password length (for those sites that don't allow 20 digits - quite common) and the forums kept mentioning 1P X ?! What is the difference ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 7 or 1Password X ?

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020

@Stibble

1Password 7 is the Mac app. 1Password X is our newest generation browser extension. 1Password can function without 1Password 7 being installed. I am a heavy Mac user and prefer to have both in use. You can find out more about 1Password X with this link. https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

If you do not use 1Password X, you would to use one of our other extensions commonly referred to as companion app extensions or sometimes simply extension. https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

• JC54
    JC54
    Community Member

If I decide to add 1Password X along side of my existing 1Password 7 For Families subscription (Mac), do I need to uninstall the old extensions for each browser, or will the 1Password X extension take care of that? I still want to keep 1Password 7 app on my computers.

Also, does the menu bar 1Password come from the desktop app or the extension?

It looks like 1Password X is maybe easier or more reliable than the old extensions. So I'd like to give it a try.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JC54:

If I decide to add 1Password X along side of my existing 1Password 7 For Families subscription (Mac), do I need to uninstall the old extensions for each browser, or will the 1Password X extension take care of that? I still want to keep 1Password 7 app on my computers.

You will have to uninstall the old extension from your browsers if you want to remove it completely from there.

Also, does the menu bar 1Password come from the desktop app or the extension?

It comes from the desktop app.

This discussion has been closed.