How can I make 1PW recognise my banking app?

swfischer
swfischer
Community Member

Hi,
when I open my banking app to login 1PW does not recognize the app and therefore does not suggest a password. When I type the first letters of the database entry it does not even search. Any ideas?

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @swfischer

The way Password AutoFill works is that it makes a determination about which app you're in based on the app's defined Associated Domain. If the app doesn't have an Associated Domain, the full list of Logins will be shown. My colleague Rudy went into more detail about this, and how apps can be updated to properly support it, here:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/577943/#Comment_577943

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• swfischer
    swfischer
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. I got the first part.

Any ideas about why the search function is not working properly in this case? I typed in the first three letters of the Login (name of the bank) and then "search" but 1PW did not respond. I had to scroll down the list to the letter R...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@swfischer:

Is this happening every time you try to search anything in 1Password, or did it happen only this one time?

• swfischer
    swfischer
    Community Member

I tried it a moment ago and the search function worked properly, but I faced the problem at least once before. Hmm.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@swfischer:

Please let us know if this happens again, and if you find a way to consistently reproduce this. We will be happy to test this here too if you find a way to make this happen on demand :+1:

• swfischer
    swfischer
    Community Member

I will. Thanks. :-)

• Dude2Dude
    Dude2Dude
    Community Member

Similar issue, here. I have the login and password info in my Login items, but when I try to use 1PW to sign into my banking app, I get a "No Logins Found" splash, with an option to "Create Login." Well, it's been created, but the iPHone app can't — won;t — access it. (And Bitwarden, which is free, has no trouble opening the app, BTW.) I want to like 1Password for a variety of reasons, but I'm quickly souring on its implementation. Convince me I'm wrong.

• Dude2Dude
    Dude2Dude
    Community Member

Oh, and please guide me through a fix — if one is even available.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Dude2Dude:

The solution is for the app to implement the associated domains feature, so 1Password can match that app with the correct login item inside 1Password. I suggest reaching out to the app developers and requesting this feature to be supported: the more users reach out and request this, the more likely it is they will consider this :+1:

• Dude2Dude
    Dude2Dude
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Ummm… maybe 1PW should do this, instead? Why is it supported in (free!) Bitwarden, and not 1PW? That speaks to a failure of your implementation, not the app designer.

• Dude2Dude
    Dude2Dude
    Community Member

Really, that's a non-answer answer.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Dude2Dude:

It's a security measure: 1Password does not show you logins if the website information does not match. This is to avoid phishing, so you don't accidentally enter your credentials on the wrong website, or on website that claim to be the website you are trying to login to.

If the app does not expose the correct URL, 1Password defaults to not showing that login in the list, since it cannot confirm that the identity of the website matches with what you have entered in your 1Password login item.

• Dude2Dude
    Dude2Dude
    Community Member

Okay, that makes sense. With my banking app, there is a small difference between the website URL and the app address. It doesn't help, but it makes sense. Thanks, ag_ana.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Dude2Dude:

You are welcome! Let us know if you have any other questions :)

This discussion has been closed.