7.7 Extensions not working with Mac OS Sierra

geekev
geekev
Community Member

Hi,
Mac OS 10.12.6 (16G2136)
1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015)
Chrome Latest update Version 87.0.4280.67 (Official Build) (x86_64)
Safari Version 12.0.3 (12606.4.5.3.1)

Extensions have stopped working on both these browsers, I think this is due to the 7.7 update. I see that someone else has the same issue with another browser but same MAC OS so I suspect an incompatibility with Sierra.

Any suggestions other than an OS upgrade (I can't do that yet on this machine).

Thanks, Kevin.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• geekev
    geekev
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

FYI - I have MAC OS 10.12.6 and 7.7 has stopped browser extensions working in Chrome and Safari , so given your experience I am pretty sure it is related to the 7.7 update and Sierra.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @geekev! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "stopped working"? What do you see/what happens exactly when you try to use the browser extensions in Chrome and Safari?

• geekev
    geekev
    Community Member

Hi @ah_ana,
    Thanks for replying. Yes,I should have been more specific :)
    CMD-\ seems to have no effect.
    Clicking on the extension button also seems to have no effect.
    This is with the desktop app open and unlocked.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@geekev:

Thank you! I wonder if refreshing things will be enough to help here. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Are the extensions working again now?

• o99
    o99
    Community Member

Hi
    Same problem here: Safari works, Brave, Firfox and the menubar widget don't. Quitting and restarting and even restarting my Mac don't help.
    Little detail: in the main app 2 german translations miss: Edit -> Bearbeiten and Convert to login -> in Login umwandeln

• ccstone
    ccstone
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Greetings,

1Password 7.7 is completely discombobulated on my macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra) system.

1Password Google Chrome Extension 4.7.5.90.

The app seems a bit slow.

Mini will not open reliably either via mouse-click or keyboard shortcut. At some point it completely quits responding, unless the 1Password app is open and frontmost.

Mini will NOT fill passwords in Google Chrome (87.0.4280.66).

The Chrome browser extension fails to connect to 1Password, and when error-collecting is turned on it throws continuous errors.

The global Mini keyboard shortcut (if it works) makes the 1Password application visible when it has previously been hidden. (This also happens in 1Password v7.6.) Bad behavior in my opinion. If I want to see the app, I'll activate or otherwise unhide the app myself. Mini should not do it for me...

Thank heavens I kept 1Password 7.6, or I'd have been left completely twisting in the wind...

Yes, I tried:

Reinstalling the 7.7 app.
    Reinstalling the Chrome extension.
    Rebooting.

I went through this whole process twice and other investigative efforts. Overall I wasted about 2 hours of my time.

No amount of troubleshooting solved the problem -- ONLY reverting to 1Password 7.6 got me up and running again.

Not fun.

-Chris

ref: INY-91252-577

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@o99, @ccstone:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

We will be happy to help you with this. To avoid sharing your account information here, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from your account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Tony_O
    Tony_O
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

ag_ana, your tip to quit 1Password completely and then restarting it again, worked for me (Big Sur). The extensions are correctly linked into browsers again allowing use of short keys. Thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @Tony_O! Thank you for letting me know :)

• Mcnick741
    Mcnick741
    Community Member

Same problem after latest Google Chrome update. Nothing happens when I click the mini in the extension. I am using OS Sierra. Extension version 4.7.5.90. Using 1Password 7.7
    I can open it in Safari sometimes but it no longer autofills. Have restarted everything (my laptop, quit and rebooted Chrome, quit 1Password.

• Mcnick741
    Mcnick741
    Community Member

The problem only started after I updated Chrome to Version 87.0.4280.67

• sammyas
    sammyas
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

I have the same problem. OS Sierra, Chrome version 87.0.4280.67. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the latest versions of 1password Chrome extension and then tried to uninstall the 1password extension and use 1passwordX browser extension. The 1password chrome extension work at all (nothing happens when I click on the extension icon), and the 1password Mini doesn't open at all. 1password X does work to autofill passwords but doesn't prompt to save passwords on new logins. Have restarted my laptop and uninstalled and reinstalled 1password app on desktop.

• chinfuzzy
    chinfuzzy
    Community Member

I'm also having problems with 7.7 on MacOS Sierra (10.12.6). The 1Password application opens fine, but the menu-bar icon only opens 1Password Mini occasionally -- mostly, it just highlights the icon momentarily. Browser extension 4.7.5.90 in Brave V1.17.73 also does not open, just highlights. Same behavior in Firefox 83.0 and Opera 68.0.3618.173.

Also, once I open the 1Password app itself, it does not display its menu bar. Instead, I still see the previous application's menues (Firefox, Finder, etc).

And I'm rather worried by seeing this on the Mac download page (https://1password.com/downloads/mac/):

Requires macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later. 

If that's so, then why did the previous version of 1Password offer to update itself to 7.7 on my system at all?

• ccstone
    ccstone
    Community Member

Requires macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later.
    If that's so, then why did the previous version of 1Password offer to update itself to 7.7 on my system at all?

Quite. I didn't see the download page, because I updated from the app itself.

When I did go to the downloads page I was looking for an updated Chrome browser extension not the app itself, and I totally missed the "Requirements" line.

As @chinfuzzy observes the 1Password app itself seems to have functioned on my system, although it was a trifle slow.

Mini and Chrome extension dead in the dirt.

-ccs

• chinfuzzy
    chinfuzzy
    Community Member

And I've just emailed a diagnostics report to support+forum@agilebits.com, and got back ticket ID [#UJF-73641-249].

• Hi folks,

1Password 7 does indeed have a "soft" requirement of macOS High Sierra. This is not new with v7.7. 1Password 7 will allow you to install it on Sierra, but it is not officially supported. Because it isn't officially supported, we don't test against it.

We have seen an uptick in reports of problems with the extensions working on Sierra. We are investigating these reports. In the meantime, if at all possible, I'd highly recommend upgrading macOS. That may ultimately be the only supported resolution here, but we do want to at least see if we can determine what the difficulty is, and then we can go from there.

Ben

• Mcnick741
    Mcnick741
    Community Member

Ben, Is there a way to uninstall 7.7 and reinstall 1password 7.6 on my Mac? The older version worked beautifully. I'm in OS Sierra 10.12.6

• SFDamon
    SFDamon
    Community Member

I was also surprised by this. I'm on Sierra and the auto-upgrade caused extensions to stop working. I realize it's an old OS and maybe hard to support. Can I downgrade 1pw? (I'm on MacOS 10.12.6; latest Chrome).

Upgrading the OS on this computer not a good solution for me. I run the old OS because I have discontinued apps I use for my work that require it. Thanks!

• Mcnick741
    Mcnick741
    Community Member

SFDamon, that's what I want to know-if you can downgrade 1pw to 7.6 so it will work. Hope they figure this out soon!

• Hi folks

Our official position here is that 1Password 7 is not supported on macOS Sierra. We would strongly urge you to upgrade macOS. If that isn't possible, we can take a look at a diagnostic report to see if we can determine what about 7.7 specifically seems to be causing the issue for you, but I can't promise that ultimately the answer won't be that an upgrade is needed.

To send a report please see these instructions:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/116986/7-7-extensions-not-working-with-mac-os-sierra#latest
    • Your forum username

Shortly after sending you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.

Thanks!

Ben

• admanb
    admanb
    Community Member

Here's a BitBot Support ID #:LCX-82168-944
    Diagnostics report sent via email as instructed.
    Fingers crossed you can identify the compatibility issue easily, or otherwise provide 7.6 downgrade instructions.
    Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@admanb:

Found it! We will take a look :+1:

ref: LCX-82168-944

• ADent
    ADent
    Community Member

You can grab older versions at https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7 .

However installing 7.6 doesn't fix Firefox for me - it is still running the latest extension.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ADent:

The Firefox extension did not change between 7.6 and 7.7, the changes only happened for Safari, so switching 1Password for Mac apps should have no impact to that. What is the exact issue that you are having with the Firefox extension?

• skydivecm
    skydivecm
    Community Member

I am having the same issues as described above. In Safari the extension does not work at all. In Chrome, it does drop down but just for a flash and then disappears. Similar behavior to Chrome, In Firefox it is opened behind the browser window and without the right focus it is difficult to work with. Please Help. thanks in advance

• chinfuzzy
    chinfuzzy
    Community Member

I can report that downgrading to 1Password 7.6 fixed things for me. I followed instructions emailed to me by Agilebits support regarding how to remove 7.7 first. I might have also had to reboot once more afterwards to get all the extensions working again.

Thank you all!

But now, a question:

Now that a bunch of us have reported that 7.7 is not quietly compatible with Sierra, shouldn't the 7.7 installation be changed to either refuse to install on Sierra or to display a warning that it's not formally supported on Sierra?

• admanb
    admanb
    Community Member

Can the official instructions for how to safely remove 7.7 before re-installing 7.6 be shared here? Thanks!

• paultreny
    paultreny
    Community Member

I am having this issue as well with the Chrome extension and 7.7 on macOS Sierra, I've downgraded to 7.6 by installing it over 7.7 and will be restarting to see if that fixes the issue.

I agree that the auto-update should NOT prompt and allow updating to 7.7 if it's not compatible, most users will just end up with a broken app unless they are savvy enough to track down this forum post.

• admanb
    admanb
    Community Member

A 1Password programmer responded to my diagnostics report and recommended I try the 1Password X extension: https://1password.com/downloads (scroll down to Download 1Password X). Thus far, it's working beautifully, so I'm not downgrading to 7.6 just yet.

• Hi folks,

v7.6 isn't officially supported on Sierra either unfortunately. Our system requirements list High Sierra as the minimum required for v7. That said, we haven't (yet) blocked it from being installed as we certainly would rather folks run the latest version possible vs running e.g. 1Password 6. Unfortunately as less and less things work on Sierra we will likely have to do that for future v7 releases.

1Password X is indeed likely going to be the best solution here. Development has looked into what the situation is with the extensions on Sierra with v7.7 and apparently it is an insurmountable problem. We would strongly encourage using a newer operating system, but if that isn't feasible then 1Password X would be the next best option. I wouldn't recommend reverting to v7.6 but if you decide to do so that is of course your perogative.

You can find information about 1Password X here:

Get to know 1Password X

Ben

This discussion has been closed.