1password 6.8.8 does not open

2»

Comments

• Hi @jdb32

We do continue to provide best effort technical support for anyone using 1Password 6 which was last sold 2+ years ago, though as you quoted, the best way forward is to move forward. :) It may help to download 1Password v6.8.9 directly from our website. Please let me know if that helps. If it does not, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/573353/#Comment_573353
    • Your forum username: jdb32

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

P.S. As an aside — our sales team (at support@1password.com) is happy to take previous purchases into consideration in helping you upgrade. :)

• OliverX
    OliverX
    Community Member

Same Issue here, waiting for a clear solution so get back to 6.8.8 from 7 trial ...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@OliverX:

Have you sent us a diagnostics report already? If you have emailed us, please post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message :+1:

• GMhx
    GMhx
    Community Member

Having the same issue, installed the 7 trial one week after upgrading to Big Sur last week because I was missing the browser extension and figured I would just buy 7, but then I realized that the price was a bit steep for only having a browser extension. Now unable to get back to 6... Apps open, enter password and it freeze... Yet mini works fine, it even still syncs as I created items yesterday on my phone and they appear in mini.

I'm really not into subscription everywhere. Any other meaningful upgrade I should be aware that would makes it justify 7. Syncing has never been an issue to me... as for platform I already paid in the past for windows, iOS & Mac... So I have one password everywhere I care about...

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@GMhx:

Any other meaningful upgrade I should be aware that would makes it justify 7.

1Password 6 is not developed anymore, so by using version 7 you get all the security updates and improvements that our developers have been working on in the last two years. Since 1Password is security software, it's good to keep it updated. You can see here a list of all the changes in version 7.

• GMhx
    GMhx
    Community Member

@ag_na While I appreciate security update, I’ve always bought previous version assuming they were secure. Since I’m not going for the subscription model, I could buy 7 but it is now close to 3 years old, given that V1 was in 2006, the pace seems to indicate that V8 will come sooner than later.

As for the feature for 7 that seems to be the biggest selling point, the password stored on a remote server, it’s not that useful to me since working in the financial industry I’m restricted to server with specific company and located in specific regions.

• since working in the financial industry I’m restricted to server with specific company and located in specific regions.

I'd encourage you to reach out to our business team, as there are some options for various regions:

Contact our sales team

Thanks!

Ben

• thiago37
    thiago37
    Community Member

Same problem here! Installed 1Password7 "for free" in the same mac as I've been running 1P6 for years! Now 1P6 doesn't work anymore... I remember buying an ETERNAL license, so what do you mean by "it has been discontinued..."?!? It looks like you are forcing us to pay AGAIN for 1P7... (NOT) nice move!

• thiago37
    thiago37
    Community Member

Same problem here! Installed 1Password7 "for free" in the same mac as I've been running 1P6 for years! Now it doesn't work anymore...

I've tryed @maxcentry 's fix and IT DOES WORK!! Thanks a lot!

• Hi @thiago37:

Glad to hear that worked for you. As Ben and Ana have mentioned however, as 1Password 6 has not been updated in more than 3 years now, our recommendation would be 1Password 7 along with a 1Password membership.

Jack

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

@thiago37

I remember buying an ETERNAL license, so what do you mean by "it has been discontinued..."?!? It looks like you are forcing us to pay AGAIN for 1P7... (NOT) nice move!

I'm a longtime user and 1Password standalone licenses have never been "eternal". When I bought 1password 4 for Windows, the license was a "lifetime" one but only for version 4.x. When 1Password 6 released, it was a paid upgrade. Always has been like this, until 1Password 8 of course.

Discontinued here means that no updates will be released for 1Password 6 in the future. Eventually it will stop functionning with future Windows updates, although it will probably take more time than on Mac OS (Apple can sometimes break apps with just one release).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@J.M:

I'm a longtime user and 1Password standalone licenses have never been "eternal". When I bought 1password 4 for Windows, the license was a "lifetime" one but only for version 4.x

You are absolutely correct. A license was valid forever, but only for the version it was purchased for :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@FrodoBaggins:

It's also more sustainable as a business model, especially when you have paid staff working on it full time :+1:

This discussion has been closed.