massive memory leak, excess CPU usage

2»

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020

@fauzann

Unfortunately, no. If you need to stop using the betas once it becomes the release/stable build, please see this set of instructions.

https://support.1password.com/betas/#to-stop-using-the-beta

If you are running the stable which 1Password will update to, then all that is need is to turn off “Include beta builds” in Preferences > Updates.

• SudoUser
    SudoUser
    Community Member

I updated to 7.7 to check Apple Watch Unlock.
    But I don;t have option to enable this function in Preferences -> Security

My question is why?

1Password Version: 7.7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Big Sur
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• SudoUser
    SudoUser
    Community Member

OK I already know. MacBook have to be equipped with T1/T2 controller.
    So MacBooks with touchbars.

• Hey @SudoUser

Indeed a T1 or T2 chip is required (specifically: a Secure Enclave). There are some models that do not have TouchBars that have such a chip. The full list of currently available Macs that are compatible is:

• iMac Pro 2017 and newer
    • iMac 27-inch 2020 and newer
    • MacBook Pro 2016 and newer
    • MacBook Air 2018 and newer
    • Mac mini 2018 and newer
    • Mac Pro 2019 and newer

Sorry about that!

Ben

• jrobmn
    jrobmn
    Community Member

Well, darn it -- that was one of the features I was excited about. I can do all kinds of watch-unlocking on my 2015 MacBook Pro, but not that. Might've been nice if I hadn't had to search the support forums to learn about this limitation. :/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jrobmn:

Thank you for the feedback! I will pass it to our documentation team :+1:

• GonFishing
    GonFishing
    Community Member

I'm not sure what the tie is between the T1/T2 chip and whether or we can use our Apple Watch. I unlock my iMac 27-inch 2017 using my Apple Watch. I thought T1/T2 was only required for the Touch Bar.

• Vince_Vmar
    Vince_Vmar
    Community Member

Same/similar problem here. I have a 2019 16" MBP with Touch Bar. Unlock with Apple Watch works fine to unlock the Mac, and I have turned on Unlock with Apple Watch in the 1PW preferences, but I never get the watch option. I only see the TouchID icon when unlocking 1PW, and have never seen the notification pop up on the Apple Watch. I didn't know if I needed to have 1PW installed and enabled on the watch ( I don't think I do since this is a Mac OS feature) but I did verify that 1PW is installed and enabled on my iPhone and Apple Watch. Mac OS 11.0.1 Watch OS 7.1 Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@fauzann:

It was released this week, on Monday to be precise :)

• rwatkins22
    rwatkins22
    Community Member

I'm on 7.7 (70700015). When will excessive memory problem be fixed?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rwatkins22:

Our developers are looking into the reports, so hopefully there will be an update soon :+1:

• akH4nw3N
    akH4nw3N
    Community Member

I'm seeing excessive memory and CPU usage on "1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016) Mac App Store", specifically when unlocking or adding/editing. Happy to send diagnostics if needed.

• onodera3
    onodera3
    Community Member

I have been noticing the same 15 second to 1 minute freezes recently and I'm on version 7.7. Is this issue still being investigated?

• @onodera3

Yes, we are still investigating this behavior.

We have made improvements in our betas that have helped a lot of folks with this. Would you be interested in trying the beta? If so, please use this set of instructions to enable the betas.

We hope to release the beta to the stable channel as soon as the beta phase has been completed.

• argelrr
    argelrr
    Community Member

I'm seeing this behavior on version 7.7 on macOS Big Sur with Intel processor. I was recommended 1Password by a lot of folks and I was excited to try it, sad to see it is not production ready on macOS! I've sent my reports to the team.

• @argelrr

I was able to locate your submission. Someone will reply as soon as possible.

ref: SVS-19161-567

• @argelrr @akH4nw3N @rwatkins22

Would you be willing to try the current beta and help us track down any edge cases that may be out there? If so, please create a diagnostic report from your device and send it to us after encountering any issues such as the memory usage you describe.

• The current beta would be required to help track this down.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key:

Please send that report to support@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum.
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/114966/massive-memory-leak-excess-cpu-usage#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file. You will receive an auto-reply from BitBot, our auto-responder. Please post the Ticket ID you receive back here.
  • homebrewcrew
    homebrewcrew
    Community Member

Also having this issue
    MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)
    macOS Big Sur: 11.2.1
    1Password 7: Version 7.7 (70700016)

Having to force quit the app multiple times a day

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @homebrewcrew. Have you given the recent beta a try already? Did that help?

• homebrewcrew
    homebrewcrew
    Community Member

Just tried to install it and wasn't able to.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@homebrewcrew:

Can you try updating directly within the existing app instead, under 1Password Preferences > Updates tab > Include beta builds?

• homebrewcrew
    homebrewcrew
    Community Member

@ag_ana

I originally installed from the App Store so I don't have that option currently.

What I did was...

• Uninstalled the app that I had installed from the App Store
    • Made sure there were no running 1Password processes
    • Downloaded 1Password 7 for Mac (the stable version, not the beta) from here

• And then was going to do what you recommended on the Updates tab

• homebrewcrew
    homebrewcrew
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    I will say it seemed to be worse while making lots of updates or creating new entries. I recently switched to 1Password so over the last couple days I was making lots of changes and seeing the large spike in memory usage. Today I'm not making any changes and just using it as I normally would and it's staying around 150 MB of memory usage which seems reasonable. (or reinstalling it fixed something for me could also be the reason

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@homebrewcrew:

I think reinstalling might have had something to do with this, especially since you had issues during the install of the new version. Perhaps something was laying around that was causing some issues. In any case, let us know if you see this again, and we can take a closer look :+1:

This discussion has been closed.