I own two iMacs

blackxacto
blackxacto
Community Member

I own a 17,1, with Mojave & a 19,1 iMac with Catalina. I have no issue w the 19,1 Catalina & 1Password7, but on my 17,1 Mojave I can't install 1Pasword7 update. Was I ever able to use 1Password7 on this iMac? I don't remember. I rarely use 1Password on the 17,1, maybe I never used it. Am I allowed to use two iMacs w my 1Password subscription?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @blackxacto!

What happens exactly when you try to install 1Password 7? And what version of 1Password are you updating from on the Mojave Mac?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Ive been thinking about how i use the mojave imac, and the only reason i do is to play 32bit gaming. So maybe ive never tried to access 1P on it. Mojave said i could update 1P, so i went to the updates available menu and clicked update 1P. It installed after i quit 1P. But then i go to click on the 1P logo in the menu, and i get a message that 1P cant be used on this machine. But i already had it installed before. I just cant remember ever using 1P on the mojave imac. Shouldnt i be able to use the same account as my 19,1 imac w catalina?

P

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto:

It installed after i quit 1P. But then i go to click on the 1P logo in the menu, and i get a message that 1P cant be used on this machine.

Can you please post a screenshot of this message?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Ive been thinking about how i use the mojave imac, and the only reason i do is to play 32bit gaming. So maybe ive never tried to access 1P on it. Mojave said i could update 1P, so i went to the updates available menu and clicked update 1P. It installed after i quit 1P. But then i go to click on the 1P logo in the menu, and i get a message that 1P cant be used on this machine. But i already had it installed before. I just cant remember ever using 1P on the mojave imac. Shouldnt i be able to use the same account as my 19,1 imac w catalina?

I will post screen shot later today. Thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good, thank you :+1:

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

17,1 iMac, I don't think I have ever used 1P on this iMac. Cant live without it on my 19,1. I go to open 1P on 17,1 iMac, and I can't remember what password gets me into 1P on this machine. Can you share a link to instructions on how to recover the present account w 1P on my 17,1 iMac? I use this account on my 19,1 iMac. Or is that allowed?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto:

I go to open 1P on 17,1 iMac, and I can't remember what password gets me into 1P on this machine. Can you share a link to instructions on how to recover the present account w 1P on my 17,1 iMac?

Certainly:

If you forgot your Master Password or you can’t unlock 1Password

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

What file contains the vault. I have only one vault on the 19,1 imac. Surely i can copy and move to the 17,1 imac?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto:

You would need the Master Password to unlock the vault, so it would be pointless to move it without being able to unlock it later.

Surely i can copy and move to the 17,1 imac?

What sync method are you using for this vault?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

I may have found a password that will work on the 17,1 machine will try it.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Icloud

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blackxacto:

I may have found a password that will work on the 17,1 machine will try it.

It really sounds like you configured the 1Password app differently on these two devices, if you are able to unlock one but not the other. The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

On this Mac where you are having issues, you probably have this Primary vault synced to iCloud. On the other Mac, I suspect you don't have the Primary vault at all.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Yes, that sounds right. Will check, thanks for your help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome :) Let us know how it goes @blackxacto!

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

ag: the old password worked. Guess I have never opened 1P on the 17,1 iMac. 1P immediately told me that the old account had been deleted. So I signed into 1P.com and entered my new account password. Picked up everything. Thanks for your patience.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Oops, one more thing. Apple store says the 17,1 iMac (Mojave) has a 1P update. but trying to update gave me the following alert:
    Is this saying your update will not work on a Mojave Mac?

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

I'm not moving from Mojave on this Mac as long as I can game on it.

• blackxacto
    blackxacto
    Community Member

Signed out of iCloud, updated 1P7.7 immediately in Mojave. Case closed. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2020

Good to hear @blackxacto, thank you for the updates :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.