Apple Watch to unlock MasterPassword?

Comments

• riteshp83
    riteshp83
    Community Member

Do we have to be on the beta for this to work? Just purchased a 2020 iMac with the T2 chip.

• @riteshp83,

Correct, 7.7 is the version that adds this feature and it is currently in beta.

• riteshp83
    riteshp83
    Community Member

@rudy do we have an ETA of when this will come to an official release?

• Hi @riteshp83

We don't pre-announce release dates I'm afraid. "Soon." :) You're welcome to try the beta if you'd like to give it a try, though I would caution that betas can have sharp edges and not everything in a beta is guaranteed to make the final release:

Use 1Password beta releases

Ben

• riteshp83
    riteshp83
    Community Member

@Ben Thanks for following up. I completely understand, is there any chance of data loss with the beta? If not I am ok working with beta releases but not if there is a chance of data loss.

• @riteshp83

Betas are generally low risk. This particular one has been out since September 2 with no reports of data loss.

Ben

• mrbeign
    mrbeign
    Community Member

Just to confirm, this feature requires a Mac with a T2 chip or a Mac with either a T1 or T2 chip?

• @mr_beign,

Mac with a T1 or T2 chip, running Catalina (macOS 10.15) or later
    Apple Watch running WatchOS 6 or later.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing this with us @Samplex, we are very happy to hear this :)

• rsx1
    rsx1
    Community Member

Is v 7.7 now final? I seem to be running that on my iPhone.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rsx1:

Version 7.7 is the stable one on iOS, yes, but version 7.7 is still in beta on Mac (the latest stable of 1Password for Mac is 7.6) :+1:

• alexanderworldwide
    alexanderworldwide
    Community Member

Running the beta on macOS and this feature is great (although sometimes a bit buggy as is to be expected in a beta). Just wondering if there is something specific to the implementation that only allows this to work with either the actual 1Pass desktop app or in Safari (but not with the Chrome extension, for example). Or is this something that is also on the horizon?

• Hey @alexanderworldwide

This works with the 1Password extension (desktop app required) Chrome extension, but not currently with 1Password X. We may be able to do something regarding the latter in the future, but for the present using the former would be the way to unlock 1Password in Chrome using Apple Watch. :)

Ben

• compo
    compo
    Community Member

Hi I am new to this forum I have downloaded the latest beta, when I go to the 1Password preferences/security the tick box for unlocking with Apple Watch is greyed out ? What do I do to make the page active

• @compo

Have you unlocked 1Password after installing the beta?

• compo
    compo
    Community Member

I thought i had obviously had not thanks for your reply it works perfectly

• @compo

I am glad to help. Enjoy!

• rwakeford
    rwakeford
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

1Password has just upgraded to 7.7 and I'm running Big Sur 11.0.1 with an Apple Watch series 4 with 1Password on it (and also on my iPhone 8) but I don't have the unlock with Apple Watch choice above conceal passwords in Preferences/Security. I've rebooted my MacBook Pro but nothing is showing. Maybe it's because I don't have TouchID on my MacBook which makes it a bit of a bummer if that's the case. Could I add to the request that others have made that the Apple Watch can be used whatever Mac is being used?

• Hi @rwakeford

Unlocking 1Password with an Apple Watch requires that the Mac have a Secure Enclave which older Macs do not have unfortunately; sorry!

Ben

• sksj10
    sksj10
    Community Member

This is unfortunate. I have an iMac from mid-2019. I can use my watch to unlock the computer itself. I can use my watch to pay for something online with Apple Pay. Seems inconsistent that it would not also unlock 1Password.

• krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

The documentation for v7.7 says that a newer Mac with T1 or T2 chip is required to unlock 1PW with Apple Watch. For a 2017 27" iMac this option is not available, but I can unlock Mac OS with my Apple Watch. Why can't 1PW use the same logic as Mac OS?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• quidlxix
    quidlxix
    Community Member

Running the latest beta of macOS Big Sur and 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015). Every time I click the "set up Apple Watch" tab it takes me to sys pref and there's nothing there to do except turn on unlock Mac and apps with Apple Watch. I already have that ticked. I unchecked it and rechecked it. Tried restarting 1password. etc. Nothing seemed to cure it. Funny it was working fine in the previous betas of 1password and Big Sur. Not sure what the issue is.

• Pete248
    Pete248
    Community Member

I'm in the same boat with krgraham. My main Mac is an older one without a T1 or T2 chip. Since Catalina I can use my Apple Watch to unlock the OS but no option is available to do the same in the new 1 Password. So it is possible to use the Apple Watch for unlocking Macs without a T1 or T2 chip. Well, maybe Apple restricts that mechanism to OS unlocking and does not allow third party apps to use it.

Would be nice, if 1Password team could investigate, whether it is possible to use this function with Macs lacking a T1/T2 chip and build it into a future version of 1Password. There will be a time when I'm switching to a new Mac (probably when higher-end Macs with Apple Silicone become available) but 1Password unlocking with the Apple Watch is not enough reason to spend that amount of money now.

• diogoterremoto
    diogoterremoto
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Thanks the 1Password team for making this possible.

Unfortunately not all users have a Mac with Secure Enclave.
    All Macs running Catalina, regardless of their chips, are able to use AW to authenticate. They all can be used to unlock, pay in Safari, and even run sudo commands in Terminal.app.

Where does this limitation comes from?

• HennyvanArkel
    HennyvanArkel
    Community Member

I also can not use the Apple watch to open 1password on my iMac 2019 with Big Sur. The option is not showing in my 1password software 7.7 (70700015) Preferences/security. Why?

• @HennyvanArkel,

Unfortunately, the iMac 2019 isn't on the list of supported machines: https://support.1password.com/apple-watch-mac/#get-help

• cyrin05
    cyrin05
    Community Member

I'm running 1PW 7.7 on my 2017 MacBook Pro (the 2016 and newer MBP is listed as supported with Secure Enclave), but I don't get the option in the 1PW settings to activate unlock with Apple Watch. I use my Apple Watch to unlock my Mac, and am running the newest OS versions, so I don't know why it's not showing. I've tried rebooting, and turning off/on the Apple Watch unlock feature in System Preferences as the 1PW support pages suggested, but no luck. Any ideas?

• @cyrin05,

I'll get the docs team to update their description. In the 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro instance, its only supported on the models that have a TouchBar and Touch ID sensor as none of the other models in those generations have a Secure Enclave.

• cyrin05
    cyrin05
    Community Member

Ah, that must be it – my MBP is without a Touch Bar. Such a shame, hopefully there can be support for 1PW and my MBP spec soon, as I'd love to use the feature! :-)

This discussion has been closed.