1P 7.7 (Mac) new "feature" acting oddly

Options

So, this maybe a Big Sur issue (I don't remember it on Catalina); but 1P 7.7 now is asking if I want to update details for existing login site (my bank in this case). I know the site is secure, the credentials are not compromised nor poor quality and so, don't see why 1P is repeatedly asking for it. Beyond that, it updated the credentials today (my error, I admit) with not the current values (pasted from the 1P into the site's Password field); but with the asterisks values.

So, I then had to go through logging into my.1Password.com to find the prior password version and then, restore my respective bank details.

The issue therefore is, 1P is asking to update my existing sites credentials (even after you've successfully logged in), when there is no need.

So, have I missed a setting change in 1P 7.7 (I don't remember the function acting this way in 7.6) or is there an error in 7.7 that needs to be looked at.

Cheers,

Anthony

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 11.0.1
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BlackMacX!

The issue therefore is, 1P is asking to update my existing sites credentials (even after you've successfully logged in), when there is no need.

1Password is seeing some changes between what is entered on the page, and what is stored in the Login item, and is therefore asking you if you want to update the details of this item. If you create a new login item in the browser, and try that to login, do you see the same prompt?

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana, to answer your question yes. I tested it with my 1Password Forums access (to this every site) this morning and had wiped the old login item first and it happened.

Also, the issue seems similar enough to this linked one "new" Safari browser extension only recognises logins from "Personal" vault that I suspect the issue is one in the same or shares a common cause.

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member
    Options

I have just logged in again and the 1P Forum login asked me if I wanted to update it, even though the URL, Username and Password have not changed. There is definitely something new in it's checking mechanism that seems to be "off" compared to older versions. I can understand if I changed my password or related (link the URL changes); but in this case, nothing has and so, something in the back-end logic is checking and reporting when no change has been made.

• BlackMacX
    BlackMacX
    Community Member
    Options

A further update on this, having disabled and then re-enabled my 1P extension in Safari (14.0.1), the issue seems to be resolved (at least for my 1Password Forums) login. As I had installed the extension when in Mac OS Catalina (10.15.7) and it was carried over when I upgraded to Big Sur (11.0.1) and through numerous reboots afterward, I suspect it is extension related. I cannot figure out why disabling and then re-enabling the extension, without a reboot of the Mac, resolved this though.

• Hey @BlackMacX. I'm glad to hear your issue has been resolved, although that does sound a bit peculiar. Let us know if you run into this again, please.

This discussion has been closed.