Privacy.com integration for Chrome and Firefox

SyberCorp
SyberCorp
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I use Privacy.com religiously and I was excited that 1Password was going to be integrating Privacy.com into the product, but was quickly saddened that it's only for Safari - a browser which I only use if forced to. Will the same integration be coming to other browsers? If so, when? If not, why not?

Edit: I'm only referring to the full native apps, not 1Password X.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SyberCorp!

The Privacy.com integration is already available in 1Password X for Chrome and Firefox ;)

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

@ag_ana Thanks, but I'm only talking about the native apps. 1Password X shouldn't even exist, in my opinion.

• @SyberCorp,

The same integration will not be coming to the "desktop app required" version of the extension.

• SyberCorp
    SyberCorp
    Community Member

@rudy I'm not sure I understand why since it's already in the desktop app and it's just the browser plugin piece that would be needed. If the coding has already been done for 1Password X, I don't understand why it would be a problem to put the feature into the normal 1Password plugins, especially since it's already been done for the Safari plugin and would just be doing the same for the other browsers.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2020

Hey @SyberCorp ,

Not sure if you have noticed but the Safari extension is going straight into the direction that 1Password X has been on for a long time now. With the new inline menu suggestions as its latest addition (in the 7.7 update that was released yesterday), the Safari extension is similar to 1Password X now more than ever.

The old companion extension is far from it and will not be getting these new features, but 1Password X will soon be able to integrate to the desktop app and will allow you to enjoy both worlds. :)
    The integration will allow 1Password to work with the desktop app like the old companion extension, but still be 1Password X with all its awesome features like the Privacy.com integration and the inline menu suggestions.

• dltj
    dltj
    Community Member

So I think the practical impact of this is that I have a choice:

1. Use the full-blown extension (from the Firefox Add-ons site) and have the Privacy card generation feature; or
    2. Use the bridge extension (side-loaded from the https://1password.com/downloads/mac/ site) and be able to unlock the vault with the MacBook Pro Touch ID and/or Apple Watch.

...because I can't find a way to have both. It seems like all of the feature development is happening on #1.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dltj:

Indeed, our effort is going towards 1Password X, but the good news is that our developers are working on Touch ID integration there too, so you should be able to have both features soon ;)

• dltj
    dltj
    Community Member

Okay, thanks for the confirmation and the update. I'm looking forward to the integration.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @dltj :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.