1Password 6 will not open in Big Sur

Gary Warrington
Gary Warrington
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Program opens and asks for password as normal, recognises correct password and shows the padlock unlocking ....but then does not progress further to show password lists etc.

The mini version opens fine, and browser extension works too.

Ideas??

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os 11.0.1
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password 6 big sur issues

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gary Warrington! Welcome to the forum!

1Password 6 is very old now (it was discontinued 2 years ago), and therefore has not been tested on more recent operating systems. If you decide to keep your operating system up-to-date like you are doing (which is great), we recommend keeping also your security software updated, like 1Password, if possible.

1Password 7 will work on Big Sur, so can you please try upgrading and see if the latest version solves the issue?

• Gary Warrington
    Gary Warrington
    Community Member

thanks for that, but was hoping not to have to go to a subscription model having invested in the ‘6’ licence.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Gary Warrington:

You could purchase a license for 1Password 7 if you prefer :+1:

• notabot
    notabot
    Community Member

Not even an upgrade discount for v6 license holders?

• Gary Warrington
    Gary Warrington
    Community Member

yeah would be good to get a discount for a period of time if you go from the v6 licence to a subscription

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@notabot, @Gary Warrington:

I encourage you to reach out to our sales team at sales@1password.com, and I am sure they will be more than happy to help :)

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Gary Warrington
    Gary Warrington
    Community Member

QMY-85938-557

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Gary Warrington:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will continue the discussion over there :)

ref: QMY-85938-557

• notabot
    notabot
    Community Member

IRQ-64226-226

Ben

ref: IRQ-64226-226

• nickholl
    nickholl
    Community Member

oh! I didn't know if was possible to purchase a license for 1password 7?! Im also a 6 user. I can't see any mention of it on the website?

• @nickholl

We no longer advertise standalone licenses. Membership is the way forward with 1Password. :+1:

Ben

• nickholl
    nickholl
    Community Member

That’s a shame :(

• Gary Warrington
    Gary Warrington
    Community Member

All transferred over to subscription service here, thank you all for your help :-)

• Thanks for the update! :)

Ben

• TitusVR
    TitusVR
    Community Member

I would like to stick with a standalone license for 1Pw6 or buy a standalone license for 1Pw7 for macOS Big Sur. Do I have to move to subscription service to get 1Password running?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TitusVR:

If you prefer a standalone license, then you can purchase that instead of a subscription :+1:

• TitusVR
    TitusVR
    Community Member

Thanks, I don't know how to be honest, do you have a link?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TitusVR:

When you install 1Password 7 for the first time and launch it, the first window will also have an option to purchase a license directly in the app. Please let us know if you don't see it.

• TitusVR
    TitusVR
    Community Member

Thanks a lot. I loaded 1Password 7 from the Mac AppStore, opened it and the first window asks me for my Main Password. I can not see any other options in this window. Does it refer to the password I use in 1Password 6?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TitusVR:

Does it refer to the password I use in 1Password 6?

Yes, 1Password 7 probably found your existing data. However, please delete 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store and install it from our website instead. The App Store version of 1Password only supports the Membership option, and the option to buy a license would only appear in the app downloaded directly from our website.

• TitusVR
    TitusVR
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana. Thanks again, I downloaded 1Password 7 from the website, found and purchased a standalone license. Opening 1Pw7 with my old password brought me to what appeared to be a two year old backup. So in preferences I found backups and was able to select the backup from today morning and tried to rebuild my library. Now I got an unexpected result. I found 424 Titles but no letters at all. The whole window appears to be blank both in dark and light mode of Mac OS.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TitusVR:

I found 424 Titles but no letters at all.

Can you please post a screenshot of this?

The whole window appears to be blank both in dark and light mode of Mac OS.

A screenshot of this too would also be useful.

• TitusVR
    TitusVR
    Community Member

Thanks for coming back and your support. I kind of solved the problem about a minute ago and sorry I did not make screenshot. 1Pw7 probably found an old backup of 2018 or so. Every object looked OK, but the data was obviously not up to date as I randomly change passwords for important logins. When I tried to rebuild the library from a more recent backup, the main windows said it contains 424 objects (titles) and they were listet underneath but not legible as if the app lost the typo. My best guess is that the backup was broken.
    Being worried I tried to import a copy of my most recent backup, that I copied to my desktop previously. Et voilá this one worked thankfully. I maybe lost one entry.

May I ask you one more question. Were are the backups stored on my Mac with 1Password 7?
    And is it safe to sync the iOS versions of one Password now with my Mac?

Titus

• TitusVR
    TitusVR
    Community Member

Ok I found the container for backups. May I delete the 1Password 4 in Library/Application support once everything is running?

• Gary Warrington
    Gary Warrington
    Community Member

email received today from 1Password...“Trade in your 1Password 6 or 1Password 7 standalone license today and you won’t pay a dime until September of next year. That’s 10 free months of 1Password for the entire family!“

So because I did this a week ago I miss out? Hardly fair for a long standing licence holder.

• Hi @TitusVR

Ok I found the container for backups. May I delete the 1Password 4 in Library/Application support once everything is running?

You can, though it probably wouldn't hurt to keep it around as a backup for a little while. :)

Ben

• @Gary Warrington

Please feel free to shoot us an email. We're always happy to work with folks. :)
    support@1password.com

Ben

• Gary Warrington
    Gary Warrington
    Community Member

thx Ben, will do.

• :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.