Standalone 1Password 6 upgrade options for Big Sur

paddypdx
paddypdx
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hello. I have stand alone 1password 6 on my mac and my 2 iphones. I keep the DB in Dropbox. I saw that if you upgrade to Big Sur it will no longer function on the Mac. Is this correct? Are there any workarounds to avoid having to pay a subscription fee/upgrading? If not, what is the difference between family and non family versions? If I have no other option than to upgrade will the NON family version function on my three devices?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OSX and iOS
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:product comparison upgrade

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2020

Hi @paddypdx

1Password 6 is no longer being developed. It would be a good time to think about an upgrade. An individual membership would work fine across your devices so long as you do not need to share data with anyone else. If you'd like the ability to share data with your family, then 1Password Families would be appropriate.

About 1Password membership

We have a guide on upgrading available here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Additionally we are currently running a promotion for standalone license holders. If you opt for 1Password Families you can use this link to sign up and in doing so will get service until September (10 months) on the house instead of the usual 14 day free trial:

https://start.1password.com/sign-up/family?c=THANKS2020

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member

Hello Ben. I am aware that 1Password 6 is not being developed anymore but I despise the subscription models. They are such a money grab. This is why I have chosen to stay with the stand alone version. But, can you confirm 2 things for me?

1. Will my existing 1password 6 continue to work on my Mac if I upgrade to Big Sur? That would be my preference.
    2. If not, and I am forced to upgrade, what are the actual differences between family and the non family version? I cannot see any comparison guide where it mentions device limitations etc.

Thanks,
    Patrick.

• Will my existing 1password 6 continue to work on my Mac if I upgrade to Big Sur? That would be my preference.

We haven't heard many encouraging reports about 1Password 6 on Big Sur. Certainly it will not work with Safari.

what are the actual differences between family and the non family version? I cannot see any comparison guide where it mentions device limitations etc.

There are no device limitations between the two. The difference is that 1Password Families includes accounts for up to five total family members, whereas an individual membership is just one person. Either way everyone with an account can use 1Password on all of their compatible devices. :)

Ben

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member

There is no definitive answer about 1password 6 and Big Sur? Can we escalate this as it is a very important decision I need to make regarding upgrading my operating system so I need a definitive answer.

If I am forced to upgrade and I to take the option of the free 10 months on the family plan, is it possible to downgrade to the single user plan once the fees start rolling in?

• 1Password 6 isn't supported. That would be the most definitive answer I could provide.

is it possible to downgrade to the single user plan once the fees start rolling in?

As long as you are the only person on the membership it would be possible to downgrade from 1Password Families to an individual membership.

Ben

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. But I did not ask if it was supported, I asked if it was still functional. Please escalate this question rather than supposing an answer. If you are unable to do this please point me to an official tech support venue to find the answer.

Can anyone else with direct experience weigh in on this question of whether or not 1Password 6 functions on Big Sur?

• We can only suppose an answer because 1Password 6 isn't supported, meaning (in part) it is no longer tested by us against new operating systems. As I mentioned above it certainly will not work with Safari on Big Sur. There have been customer reports about 1Password 6 not opening at all on Big Sur, which is the sort of thing I meant when I said "we haven't heard many encouraging reports about 1Password 6 on Big Sur." The last release of 1Password 6 was over 2 years ago, long before Big Sur was available even to developers for testing. If it works at all, it is only by coincidence, and not by design. I couldn't say with any certainty whether it'll work as we don't test it. That's the official tech support answer for 1Password 6. If you'd like a supported solution, that would be 1Password membership, which would include 1Password 7. 1Password 7 is compatible with and tested against Big Sur.

Ben

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member

So, Ben, would you mind leaving this thread and I would then like to hear from other end users' experiences with 1Password 6 and Big Sur functionality. I never asked about Safari. I am asking about the OS. Please do not repeat yourself again and just move onto another thread. I am not interested in a sales pitch I am looking for technical information or experiences.

• Certainly; no problem. I hope some end-users are able to provide the information you're looking for.

Stay safe out there.

Ben

• frustratedidiot
    frustratedidiot
    Community Member

it works on Big Sur but not in Safari. Still works in Chrome. Pretty frustrating that it is not functional across the board. LastPass is not much better, Also working in Chrome but not in Safari.

• paddypdx
    paddypdx
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Thanks for your feedback @frustrated... Good to know. I have been holding off upgrading to Big Sur especially for this reason but if it works and with chrome then good-O.

This discussion has been closed.