Watch unlock with Mac Pro (2019)

tolsen718
tolsen718
Community Member

I am having trouble getting Watch Unlock to work on my 2019 Mac Pro. Does the 2019 Mac Pro have a secure enclave? I got the new 1Password 7.7. I have an Apple Watch with WatchOS 7.1 and macOS Catalina 10.15.7 on the Mac Pro. Is Big Sur required? I checked the box next to Apple Watch in Preferences -> Security. What am I missing?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tolsen718!

I am having trouble getting Watch Unlock to work on my 2019 Mac Pro.

Can you please elaborate on this a little bit? What is the issue exactly?

• tolsen718
    tolsen718
    Community Member

Sure, sorry. I just don't get prompted on my watch to unlock 1Password. It's like it was before. I end up having to type my master password. Note that I am able to unlock the Mac with my watch.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@tolsen718:

Thank you for the confirmation. Can you please try turning off Auto Unlock, restarting your Mac, then turn Auto Unlock back on?

• tolsen718
    tolsen718
    Community Member

I've already tried that. I believe I read that in one of your docs. Still no go.

• @tolsen718,

if you run this command in Terminal.app (paste and hit return), do you get anything output to the screen?

system_profiler SPiBridgeDataType

• tolsen718
    tolsen718
    Community Member

[tim@blue ~]$ system_profiler SPiBridgeDataType
    Controller:

Controller Information:

Model Name: Apple T2 Security Chip
      Firmware Version: 17P6610
      Boot UUID: 97DE053F-1E21-4AFA-A3D7-C86DB860B5DD

[tim@blue ~]$

• tolsen718
    tolsen718
    Community Member

Has 1Password tested this feature on a 2019 Mac Pro with Catalina? Is it possible this only works on a 2019 Mac Pro on Big Sur? I have this security chip but no TouchID (as it's a 2019 Mac Pro).

• @tolsen718,

Not that specific machine, but other desktop macs with T2 chips. So you definitely have the necessary hardware on the computer side of the equation. Catalina is where Apple introduced the approve with apple watch feature, so the OS should be fine. So the checkbox is present in the prefs window and its checked (it prompted you to enter your master password?), but it doesn't appear on the locked main window or 1Password mini?

• tolsen718
    tolsen718
    Community Member

yes, it is checked.

I don't see anything different about the unlocking process. And nothing prompts me on my watch. Main window nor 1Password mini (I use Safari mostly). (Although I do notice the better integration of 1Password mini in Safari).

Please let me know if I can help in any way to further debug this issue on a 2019 Mac Pro. I am a software engineer (though back-end systems specialty, not mac).

• tolsen718
    tolsen718
    Community Member

And that's what a locked main screen looks like

• rudy
    edited November 2020

@tolsen718,

would it be possible for you to send in a diagnostics report for me to take a look? https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

your lock screen should resemble this, with an additional watch button below the master password field:

• tolsen718
    tolsen718
    Community Member

ok, I sent the diagnostics zip to support+mac@1password.com with subject "For rudy : diagnostics from 2019 Mac Pro running Catalina (watch unlock not working)"

• Got it. Thanks @tolsen718. I believe Rudy is done for the day (and likely out for the holiday) but I'll be sure he sees this when he is back. :+1:

Ben

ref: JJU-33712-159

• tolsen718
    tolsen718
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. Have a great holiday!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You too @tolsen718! And on behalf of Ben, you are welcome :)

• dclark2020
    dclark2020
    Community Member

I'm seeing the same on a iMac Pro with the t2 enclave. and 1password 7.7

• Hey @dclark2020

Could you please shoot us a diagnostic report by email? Include a link to your message (https://1password.community/discussion/comment/579659/#Comment_579659) in the email so we can 'connect the dots.' Thanks!

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Ben

• dipeshspatel
    dipeshspatel
    Community Member

I'm also having the same problem - may I also send my diagnostic report? I currently use my watch to unlock my Early 2015 MacBook Pro but don't see the checkbox option for "Unlock Using Apple Watch" under 1Password preferences.

• Hi @dipeshspatel

Unfortunately 2015 MacBooks did not have the Secure Enclave hardware and as such 1Password cannot be unlocked using an Apple Watch on such a device. The Macs that do have a Secure Enclave are:

• iMac Pro (2017 and newer)
    • iMac (27-inch 2020 and newer)
    • MacBook Pro with Touch Bar (2016 and newer)
    • MacBook Pro (2018 and newer)
    • MacBook Air (2018 and newer)
    • Mac mini (2018 and newer)
    • Mac Pro (2019 and newer)

I'm in a similar position with a 2015 iMac being my primary work computer, so no Apple Watch unlock there for me either.

Ben

• tolsen718
    tolsen718
    Community Member

Hi all. I'd like to reply back that with the help of the 1Password support team I got the watch unlock working. In the end I had to turn off watch unlock of the mac, do an SMC reset and a boot into safe mode, then reenable watch unlocking on the mac and 1Password. Now it works even when not in safe mode! Thanks 1Password support team!!!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @tolsen718! And you are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.