Feature request for browser login item editing

Naxterra
Naxterra
Community Member

Hello

When editing an item, instead of opening a new tab, can you make it editing within 1Px app?

It is like below.

• removed ref: XIG-48929-421

but I want it simple like below (from Bitwarden)

• removed ref: XIG-48929-421

1PasswordX Version: 1.21.3

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Naxterra ,

Once we release the new desktop app integration in 1Password X (which should be by the end of this year), when you click the "Edit" button in 1Password X, it should pop up a window from the 1Password desktop app where you can edit the details of the item quickly and easily.

Thanks for taking the time to suggest it! We definitely have some changes coming on all fronts that will improve your experience and workflow :chuffed:

• zwalex
    zwalex
    Community Member

big +1 on this one.
    It's totally ridiculous to not only have a browser tab open up, but also that I need to log in to 1Password again, even though I am obviously logged in with the browser extension as well as the desktop app.
    As the answer from @ag_yaron is already more than 2 months old - has something changed on that, is this feature still to be expected by the end of the year and what version of the product will that be?
    Thanks!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @zwalex ,
    Thanks for chiming in here.

You definitely do not need to log into your account again if 1Password X is unlocked and you click on "Edit" in an item. If you do, we can troubleshoot it and see what's wrong if you'd like.

There are no news for now, so the 1Password X integration is still planned to be shipped out by the end of the year.

• zwalex
    zwalex
    Community Member

OK, you're right - I don't have to log in [again] in the 'edit session' that opens in a new browser tab.
    Not having to do the edit in a new browser tab to edit, but do it in the desktop app is the same 'break' in user experience flow ...
    What is actually the reason that the edit can't happen in the same session/environment (in this case the browser extension), that I am in?
    I am trialing 1Password, considering switching from Lastpass.
    What I liked so far was how easy it was to import my Lastpass data, the way my logins, secure notes, etc. are categorized and tagged, but I am not really impressed so far with the day by day user experience (again, compared to years of using Lastpass and some of its conveniences).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I think the main barrier you are encountering here is the fact that you are working with both 1Password X and the 1Password 7 desktop app, which are both standalone apps that do not communicate with each other (yet).

You have two options to work with 1Password in a clear manner:

• Work with 1Password X only.
    • Remove 1Password X and work with the 1Password 7 desktop app and its companion extension in the browser.

If you choose to work with 1Password X, then your workflow always starts and ends in the browser. Editing must be done in a new tab because 1Password X works directly with your 1Password.com account and its interface. When you click on "Edit", it brings up our webapp (the one you get when you sign into your account at https://my.1password.com).

If you decided to remove 1Password X and work with the 1Password 7 desktop app and its companion extension, everything will work the way you describe you want it to work here, except for the fact that the companion extension does not show up on its own inside usernames/password fields, so autofilling must be invoked by either clicking the extension's icon or by using a keyboard shortcut to autofill.
    You can download the companion extension from here: https://1password.com/browsers/

The desktop app's advantage is the intuitiveness and ease of use (especially when editing items) because it is a native desktop app. The disadvantage is that it doesn't integrate with 1Password X (which we are currently working on).

I hope that clarifies your options and possible workflows better. We do recommend using 1Password X, but you can definitely try the companion extension if you'd like, and revet back to 1Password X whenever you want if you decide it is not for you.

• zwalex
    zwalex
    Community Member

@ag_yaron - Thanks for explaining the difference between 1Password X and the 'companion extension' - for a while I had both installed and didn't know what the heck is going on and why there are two 1Password browser extensions.
    I really, really hope - and you mention it is in the works - that you guys are going to streamline this.

I think the main barrier you are encountering here is the fact that you are working with both 1Password X and the 1Password 7 desktop app,

Actually no. The main reason that I even have the desktop app installed (at least on macOS), is that it's seemingly the only way to get the 1Password browser extension for Safari (which doesn't work for me at all, btw.)

• Hello @zwalex,

It is great to hear that everything is clear, and I am sorry to hear that you can't use 1Password on your Safari. Could you please give us more details on the issue so we can assist you further? What happens when you click on the 1Password extension on your browser's toolbar? Do you see a popup menu with a list of your login items any error message? What doesn't work as you expected?

• zwalex
    zwalex
    Community Member

@nhat_1P - I don't want to hijack this thread and start a separate one with my Safari issue[s] ...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @zwalex, feel free to open a separate discussion if you require our help :)

• mlouka
    mlouka
    Community Member

+1 here as well. Looking forward to this update so 1px syncs with the desktop and doesn't open a new tab when editing.

firstworldproblems

• Hello @mlouka,

We are all excited about the feature, and we will announce the big news once the app integration is ready. Please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features we offer.

This discussion has been closed.