Windows version forces saving an attachment to view it

Using the Windows 10 client, in order to view an attachment to a 1Password entry, I am forced to ‘save’ the attachment (to some place like the Downloads folder), and then view it. This seems to not only be a pretty convoluted set of steps, but creates potential security issues because images like drivers licenses, passports, etc. end up on the PC unless the user remembers to remove them afterwards.

This issue does not happen with the IOS, iPadOS, or macOS versions - I can just ‘view’ the attachment without any extra steps.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home v 20H2, build 19042.630
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Windows view attachment must save

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rckingsley,

Thank you for getting in touch! You are not missing anything.

When you preview a document item in 1Password for Mac, your document is downloaded and decrypted temporarily for the session, and and if you click Show in Finder, you'll see it is located in a temporary area on the Mac.

This behaviour is different on Windows, because the current version of 1Password 7 for Windows supports only JPG, PNG, GIF, and BMP image previews, if they are smaller than 1MB in size.

The preview for PDF documents is not available on Windows, because Windows uses Microsoft Edge as its viewer and we are not able to integrate it into 1Password. It means that we have the following options for it:

• Write our own viewers for a wide variety of file types

• Add 3rd party code for viewing file formats to 1Password

• Utilize 1st or 3rd party viewers to display inline

Since the security of your data in 1Password is out top priority, option 2 and option 3 are very risky. Option 1 is also not really feasible, but we are still looking at ways to bring the preview of different files to 1Password on Windows. That is why you have to save your documents first now.

Please let me know if it answers your question. If you have any further questions, we are here to help. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Clump123
    Clump123
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Hi. Wasn't preview on windows 10 a feature not very long ago? I can preview images I've attached 20 days ago, but if I try and attach the same image again now, it doesn't give me a preview. Was this feature removed? It was very useful

edit: To clarify, I have images which I uploaded previously which can be previewed, but if I place those same images in the documents folder now, they can't be (PNG files). Some of these pictures are less than 1MB in size also.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Clump123,

There have been no changes regarding preview in 1Password 7 for Windows recently, so I am not sure what is going on. I created a Document item with a .PNG just now and the preview works just fine:

Could you please give it some time to upload and refresh? Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• gaw
    gaw
    Community Member

Looks like "view" is not an option when using "my.1password.com" either. I get a download and not a view option there too.

If the files are downloaded, then we need to make sure we delete them after downloading them if we want to maintain security. Correct?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gaw:

Looks like "view" is not an option when using "my.1password.com" either. I get a download and not a view option there too.

It depends on the file format: something like a Word document needs to be downloaded, but image files are previewed without needing to be downloaded, for example.

If the files are downloaded, then we need to make sure we delete them after downloading them if we want to maintain security. Correct?

Correct :+1:

• gaw
    gaw
    Community Member

It would be helpful to add specific guidance in 1Password documentation about this "feature" and which file types you can view versus need to download under Windows (which appear to be no file types) and different browsers (Chrome: *.png and *.jpg). It is not clear currently unless you come to this forum and search.

• Hi @gaw, thanks for your reply!

Currently our guide on how to Save important files in 1Password > Work with files in the apps > Windows points customers to 1Password for Windows settings "1Password > Settings > General", where you can turn On/Off “Show image previews for Document items”. This setting further notes the limitation of these types of image files as depicted below:

I'll be reaching out internally to see if this can be updated in the original support article.

Please let us know if you need any further information and have a great day!

• gaw
    gaw
    Community Member

Thank you for responding.

What I missed in all this is the 1Mb or smaller file size required on the PC side. There does not appear to be a limit on the my.1Password.com side when using Chrome if you stick to specific file types. For the documents I am trying to save, pics of id cards, I can get away with a small file size. And I actually did see this in action on the PC for one of the files I tested after seeing that a 74KB jpg file was viewable on the PC side.

However, my.1Password.com under Chrome and 1Password on the PC side act odd in that there is a very strange delay that occurs in both as to when the picture is actually automatically viewable. I loaded up 5 files using my Mac 1Password7 that were a mixture of sizes (+ / - 1MB) and type (JPG and PNG). It took multiple login attempts over 10-15 minutes on my.1Password.com for the viewable image to appear (you could see the document was there and available for downloading. There was just not a viewable image of the document.) Eventually an image appeared. On the PC side, 2 of the 3 documents that had images that were smaller than 1MB finally were viewable on screen after a 10-15 minute delay even though they were available for download almost immediately. However, there is one file that is only 4KB that has yet to appear. It was loaded at 10:45 am and it is currently 11:17am. One of the 2 documents that does appear was loaded into 1Password 9 minutes after the 4KB file. What is required to trigger a PNG or JPG file under 1MB to be viewable?

Some additional feedback/request for 1Password. The document you refer to above focuses more on adding and saving files and not viewing. Understandably, because the viewing feature at its best (larger files, more file types) is limited to the Mac. However, as more of us use the Family function with older family members, it is possible that we will be on different platforms. Those of us on a Mac will just assume the viewing function is available on all platforms. I think there needs to be explicit explanation about the nuance of this feature. It is a great feature especially on a Mac, still workable under my.1Password under chrome, manageable with a bit of planning on a PC depending on what you are trying to store, and not viewable at all on an iOS device without downloading. However, a user will not understand this without specific guidance from the 1Password team on how to use it.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gaw,

The limitations that @Mike_D mentioned in the previous message are related to 1Password 7 for Windows. They have nothing to do with the web interface on 1Password.com. Is there a particular reason why you use 1Password.com in the browser and not 1Password 7 app? Does this issue with document preview remain if you sign in to your account on 1Password.com in a different browser? Please let us know.

As for the difference between 1Password behaviour on Mac and Windows, we are looking at ways to make this experience more consistent. However, please note that while we support JPG, PNG, GIF, and BMP image previews in 1Password 7 for Windows (if they are smaller than 1MB in size), the preview of .PDF documents is not available for the reasons that I mentioned above.

Your feedback regarding this difference is really appreciated and we will continue looking at ways to improve 1Password in this area. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• gaw
    gaw
    Community Member

@Greg

I use 1P7 on the Mac. My 83 year old dad uses 1P7 on a PC. We are trying to load up pictures of id cards: drivers license, medical id cards, etc. I am doing most of this type of data and picture entry from 1P7 on the Mac. When he went to preview his passport picture on 1P7 on his PC he could not see it . This is what started the question above. Turns out the passport photo was a pdf file. When I changed it to a jpg file, he still couldn't see it because it was over 1MB. Once I reduced the jpg file to 76KB he could see it.

However, I am still having the strange delay in having jpg documents under 1MB show up in preview on the 1P7 on the PC. Sometimes happens on my.1password.com but not as often and delay is not as long. They all have eventually showed up but it is very odd.

My use of my.1Password.com was strictly to see if it worked better/differently than 1P7 on the PC. I was considering switching my dad from 1P7 on the PC to my.1Password.com but have decided against it. I only tried it under Chrome as it is not feasible to add a different browser into the mix.

I use 1P7 on the Mac and 1PX for Chrome exclusively. My dad use 1P7 on the PC and 1PX for Chrome exclusively. I only use my.1Password.com to add members to my family account as I find the organization capabilities better on 1P7 on the Mac easier to use than those under my.1Password.com. I have purposely limited what my dad uses so that it is easier for him to use 1P.

The Family feature of 1Password enables multigenerational support that has been difficult to provide in the past. Access to my parents accounts, passwords, documents, etc allows me to support them from afar. However, there are 1P functionality like the preview feature which are fantastic in principle but complex in implementation (understandably so). A nontechnical person isn't going to understand and get frustrated and give up. Offering Family accounts will bring on many new customers but I think 1P will find many will not be technical. I am very patient and fairly technical. I have a huge vested interest in making this work but it has required a lot of work on my part to figure it out. Many new customers wont and will walk away. Some documentation and workflows strictly for the multigenerational family situation may be appreciated by future customers.

• While it's completely understandable for there to be slight delay when 1Password is loading the image previews of a newly-added document for the first time, as there's some behind-the-scenes action happening there -- If you're seeing previews take minutes to load, then we might need to take a second look at things there.

As @Greg mentioned in his prior reply, we are always looking at ways to make this experience more consistent, so this is something I'll certainly bring up with the team to see what we could do to improve this in the future.

• gaw
    gaw
    Community Member

@Blake I will time my next set of entries and get back to you...but it sometimes takes hours / overnight to show up on the 1P7 PC side.

• That sounds like a solid game-plan @gaw!

If you notice things are taking hours, as you mentioned, could you please create a diagnostics report for 1Password, and then include that diagnostic in an email to support+windows@1password.com, so that we could take a closer look at what is going on? 😊

This discussion has been closed.