Local Domains, Ports, Matching and LastPass Functionality

Just trying out 1Password as an alternative to LastPass and had a couple of questions about equivalent functionality.

I have read various threads about sub-domain matching but there are a few subtleties I wanted to check:

I have a local domain and everything is setup so I do not need to enter a FQDN in the browser. In LastPass I was able to set domain equivalence so that host.domain and host would both match. It would appear I cannot do this in 1Password and there was a suggestion that I would need to enter separate entries for host and host.domain (but if I did that and changed the password then I am assuming that only one would get updated?)

Secondly I was able to include port in the matching in LastPass. Again I am assuming this is not possible in 1Password?

There is an option in LastPass to login automatically. Is there an option for this in 1Password?

There is an option in LastPass to logout when I close the browser. The only auto logout option for 1Password is time based right?

Finally, if I have passwords for
sub.host.com, sub2.host.com, host.com

Then how does this work in terms of matching and updating? Presumably I will see all three when I go to host.com but the host.com will be at the top of the list and if I go to sub.host.com I will see all three but sub.host.com will be the top entry? If I change password on host.com (or sub.host.com) this won't try and overwrite the others?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jameson_uk
    jameson_uk
    Community Member

Also just looking at https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/ and the video seems to bear no relevance to the extension in Chrome.

When I login to a site that 1Password doesn't know about I am not getting asked to save the password. I see there is a button to save to 1Password where the saved login would be but it is doesn't work like the video.

Also when changing passwords it seems the same. If I chose a suggested password I get the option to save (but I haven't actually changed the password yet) but if I type in a password and change it via the same form I am not prompted to save it in 1Password at all.

Is the video out of data and this you have to manually save credentials when logging into a new site / updating passwords or is there a setting I am missing?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jameson_uk,

I noticed your second message first, so let me address it. It seems that you are using 1Password X now. 1Password X is our new type of extension that works entirely in your browser and the instructions you are referring to are not applicable to it. 1Password X behaves differently and you can learn more about it here:

Get to know 1Password X

There is also this question of yours:

There is an option in LastPass to logout when I close the browser. The only auto logout option for 1Password is time based right?

Since 1Password X works entirely in your browser, it locks every time you close your browser and I believe this is what you are looking for. Let me know how it works for you.

The instructions that you found on our website refer to our 1Password companion extension. This is a different extension that requires you to install 1Password 7 for Windows and it is also available for download on our Downloads page.

As for your other questions:

I have a local domain and everything is setup so I do not need to enter a FQDN in the browser. In LastPass I was able to set domain equivalence so that host.domain and host would both match. It wouldts appear I cannot do this in 1Password and there was a suggestion that I would need to enter separate entries for host and host.domain (but if I did that and changed the password then I am assuming that only one would get updated?)

If you create separate Login items for host and host.domain and then change the password for one Login, the second Login will not be updated, because these Logins are considered to be two different Logins. However, right now in 1Password it is possible to associate a Login with different websites by adding multiple URLs.

If you have the same credentials for both host and host.domain, have you tried adding both URLs to the same Login item? Like this:

Does it work for you? Thanks!

Secondly I was able to include port in the matching in LastPass. Again I am assuming this is not possible in 1Password?

There is an option in LastPass to login automatically. Is there an option for this in 1Password?

Yes, adding port number to URL and port matching is not available in 1Password right now. I will share your suggestion with our team, thank you! :+1:

Finally, if I have passwords for sub.host.com, sub2.host.com, host.com.

Then how does this work in terms of matching and updating? Presumably I will see all three when I go to host.com but the host.com will be at the top of the list and if I go to sub.host.com I will see all three but sub.host.com will be the top entry? If I change password on host.com (or sub.host.com) this won't try and overwrite the others?

The suggested Login ordering for 1Password X is favorites above all else, then naked domain matches, then subdomain matches. Does it sound similar to what you experience in 1Password X on your side now? Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• jameson_uk
    jameson_uk
    Community Member

Great thanks. OK so part of the confusion was not realising there were two extensions for Chrome. I did download the Windows app as well as the extension (and did think it odd that there didn't seem to be any link between them. Am I to assume that 1Password X is the newer option?

Adding multiple hostname works great thank you.

Off to read about 1Password X and do some more experimenting.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jameson_uk, you are very welcome!

You are correct: 1Password X is newer. Right now we have two different 1Password extensions indeed.

Our "standard" companion 1Password extension doesn't have any information about your 1Password account and it requires a standalone 1Password app that you have to install on your computer. Here is how it works and how you can use it to save and update your passwords.

1Password X is our new type of extension that works entirely in your browser. It doesn't need to connect to a standalone 1Password app, so it works independently (it allows 1Password X to work on Linux, Chromebooks, or work computers, where you can't install any software). You can learn more about 1Password X here.

We have plans to simplify this experience in the future, so please stay tuned. If you have other questions, we are always ready to help. :) Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.