How can I change the category that a password has been filed under?

Options

When I first set up I didn't know to sort the passwords to the various categories and now have many memberships under the "Passwords" category and would like to move them to the "Membership" category. It appears that the "Copy/Move" function only allows one to copy or move a file to a shared vault. It is a pity that this doesn't allow for one to also change the category.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.1
OS Version: OS X Home 19041.572
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How can I change the category the a password has been filed under?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hi @ian_turnbull!

You are right that it's not possible to change the category of an item after it has been created. This is because many fields in one category don't exist in another, and viceversa, so moving them is not always an easy action to do automatically. Thank you however for the feedback, perhaps one day we will be able to do this, so in the meantime I have sent your feedback to the developers :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#137

• ian_turnbull
    ian_turnbull
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana,
    So therefore I have to manually transfer all the information for each entry, correct?
    Ian

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ian_turnbull:

That's correct, you need to copy paste your information from one item to the other.

• syserss
    syserss
    Community Member
    Options

Not a fan of this. It's just data, if the new category can't accept all the fields, it would be nice to give us the option to save them in Notes or lose them.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@syserss:

Thank you for the feedback on this, this could indeed be an option :+1:

• burkhall1
    burkhall1
    Community Member
    Options

Would love for this functionality to be added!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for letting us know @burkhall1 :)

This discussion has been closed.