1Password 7.7 memory leak (performance issues)?

ajyey
ajyey
Community Member

I'm having major performance issues with the latest update of 1Password (7.7). In addition to the fact that it is consuming more than 2GB of memory, the application is extremely sluggish (multiple beach balls) and becomes unresponsive every couple of minutes, forcing me to quit and restart it. I'm on the latest version of Big Sur (11.0.1) and the latest version of 1Password Version 7.7 (70700015)

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 11.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ajyey!

We can certainly take a closer look at why this is happening to you. Can you please follow the instructions here to email us some logs?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• TJ2000
    TJ2000
    Community Member

Hi,
    unfortunately I have the same issue. 1Password 7.7 (70700015) works very slowly for me. If i edit my date, i always see the lollipop and I have to wait several seconds before I can continue working. After restarting the MacBook (macOS 11.0.1) it works fine for a while, but after a short time this issue comes back..

• Hi @TJ2000

We'd like to troubleshoot that further. Please see the instructions Ana posted above. :) Thanks!

Ben

• TJ2000
    TJ2000
    Community Member

Hi @Ben
    Thanks for the hint. Attached the ticket number [#RKN-36464-873].

TJ2000

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@TJ2000:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: RKN-36464-873

• ajyey
    ajyey
    Community Member

@ag_ana @Ben I've also emailed the sample process and diagnostics report. My support ID is: [#GEV-31559-142].

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajyey:

Thank you, found it! Someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

ref: GEV-31559-142

• ajyey
    ajyey
    Community Member

@ag_ana thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome :)

• mhasanbulli
    mhasanbulli
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks for looking into this. I have also sent an email to support with few different samples and a diagnostics report. My ticket number is #WDL-35622-186.

Thank you :chuffed:

• jnakag
    jnakag
    Community Member

Hi, I see that there are a couple of threads that appear to be about this same issue. This was at the top when I was browsing, so am adding my comments here. :)

I can consistently reproduce the issue as follows:
    1. On boot, I have 1Password Mini set to automatically start.
    2. Launch 1Password main app.
    3. Edit any item.
    4. Change something. You have to change something. If you don't change anything and save, you won't see the issue.
    5. Save the changed item.
    6. Watch memory usage in Activity Monitor and note how it increases.
    7. Repeat steps 3-6 with same or different items.
    8. Note that as memory usage increases, the app becomes increasingly sluggish.

The workaround noted in the other thread to 'Quit 1Password Completely' from the 1Password Mini menu and relaunch the app works nicely for me to alleviate the sluggishness for a few more rounds of edits (I've been doing a bunch of cleanup!).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @mhasanbulli, found it! We will take a look and get back to you via email :)

ref: WDL-35622-186

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jnakag:

Thank you for the additional information! Our developers are looking at this, so hopefully we will have an update soon :)

• Caleb531
    Caleb531
    Community Member

@ag_ana Is there any update on the memory leak investigation? I just installed 1Password 7.7 (70700015) recently, and 1Password's memory usage grew to over 500 MB after I edited 20+ logins back-to-back.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Caleb531:

Yes, our developers have addressed this in the beta channel. If you would like to give it a try already and see if that solves the issue for you too, here are the instructions to update to the beta:

Use 1Password beta releases

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

I experienced the memory leak issue on 7.7 (& reported it to Support several months ago). I particularly experienced the memory leak after viewing a saved document; memory grab would go over (& remain) 1+ GB.

Installed version 7.8 (3/9/21) and have since been checking Activity Monitor. I'm happy to report the memory issue looks fixed since so far, I've not seen the issue resurrect itself. Memory use (for 1PW) has been staying at about 160+ MB. Good deal.

Job well done by the engineers.

• @pbGuy

I'll pass those kind words over to the Mac development team. I know they will appreciate the feedback.

• dfp
    dfp
    Community Member

I'm running 7.7 (App Store) on my MBP. The app is grabbing 1.26GB of memory.

I followed the instructions above to get 7.8 and received "The Installation Failed."

When is the App Store version going to be released that addresses this memory leak? It's killing performance and battery life. Photoshop is almost unusable once 1Password starts bogarting memory.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dfp:

The Mac App Store version was released a few days ago. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely) first? You should then be able to complete the update.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@ag_tommy, @ag_ana -

Since my last post (3/11), I've noticed 1PWs memory hold has been incrementally sneaking up (periodic memory increases). {If I'm recalling correctly, I'd not previously initiated a Restart since installing 7.8 on 3/9.}

Here are screenshots, snapped today (3/20) from Activity Monitor: B4 today's Restart and, after Restart + open of 1PW:

Before Restart:

After Restart:

Other than the above, I've not noticed any other issues with 1PW 7.8. it's been running smoothly, and works great with my Watch6.

For reference, I'm using macOS 11.2.3 on an iMac 27 i7 (late 2020) with 32GB RAM.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @pbGuy! This is what I see here on my machine after a couple of days at least (also on macOS 11.2.3 and 1Password 7.8):

I wonder if you were seeing the previous results because of the lack of restart after the update. Please let us know if you notice this increase again :+1:

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@ag_ana

After I updated to 1PW 7.8 on 3/9, Activity Monitor (post-update on 3/9) reported a 1PW 7 memory hold at about 160MB (although no Restart).

Because the memory-hold status, post 1PW update (on 3/11 when I again viewed AM, just prior to my 3/11 post), remained at about 160MB+, it didn't seem a post-update Restart was necessary (just for 1PW 7.8), when a Restart had previously occurred after updating macOS (on 3/8). ...I did not check AM after updating macOS (and Restarting), but no doubt that Restart would have reduced 1PW 7.7s memory hold from about 1+GB I'd seen in AM sometime prior to the macOS update.

Over the several weeks between 3/9 & 3/20 (no Restarts), 1PW 7.8's memory-hold began increasing incrementally from 160MB (after updating to 1PW 7.8) up to what's shown in the above, 1st screenshot. [During this period, I purposely was not initiating Restarts as I wanted to see what Activity Monitor reported when subsequently viewed.]

{While I don't usually initiate Restarts for other, installed-app updates (excepting macOS), if it's recommended to always initiate a Restart post a 1PW update, I am glad do so from now on. ...If post-1PW install / updates, Restarts are always recommended, maybe, 1PW should force a post-install Restart.}

Anyway, I'll again post around 3/27 with followup reference.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Anyway, I'll again post around 3/27 with followup reference.

Sounds good, thank you!

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited March 2021

@ag_ana

I've been checking Activity Monitor daily (with 1PW not active nor in background) where (post 3/20 Restart) AM reported about 84MB memory status.

During the 7-day period (no Restarts):
    (3/22) 190+MB, (3/23) 298+MB, (3/24) 324+MB, (3/25) 450+MB, (3/26) 520+MB, (3/27) 536+MB

The above is mainly anecdotal to me, as my iMac has plenty of RAM.

As there was a previous, memory-hold issue, which 7.8 was to correct, I'm curious about whether the stats are to be expected, albeit 1PW's memory-hold has been incrementally increasing. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pbGuy:

Thank you for the update! I have just checked my activity monitor, and I am still at 91 MBs here since my previous post (although my Mac certainly does not have plenty of RAM, not sure if that is related). We can certainly take a closer look for you though. To do this, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member

Done. [#KHU-76454-922]

Look forward to hearing back. Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pbGuy:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: KHU-76454-922

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

@ag_ana

I've been working with Josh, in the Support group, since sending the Diag. Report.

While the report didn't conclusively reveal any fundamental issue (although showed usage could be classified as a power user & using higher levels of RAM), the report pointed towards my habit of Quitting (as opposed to Minimizing) 1PW when not active.

When I stopped the habit (and simply minimized 1PW to background - collapsed into the Dock), I found that 1PW's memory-hold stabilized at about 250+ to 280+ MB. At least over the last week, the memory-hold has not continued to increase to over 700+MB, which was the amount when I did a Restart on 3/30 (my CCC5 Clone Backup Tuesday & I prior quit all apps).

As today's Tuesday, I completed - prior to this post - my Clone Backup, and I am satisfied 1PW is / has been working normally (given my typical use & the relative memory-hold range).

[Again, 1PW has always worked smoothly; so, there hasn't been any noticeable bug-like issues with current, or prior, versions.]

But for others who may be monitoring their 1PW's memory-hold, simply let 1PW remain in background (do not Quit) by minimizing to the Dock when 1PW is not active (onscreen).

BTW, Josh was terrific in his support - patient and thorough. Exemplary! :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @pbGuy, and for sharing it here! I am glad to hear this, and thank you also for the kind words on behalf of Josh :)

This discussion has been closed.