Can't login - I think I screwed up

trlotlo
trlotlo
Community Member

Long story kinda short..I was trying to use 1Password on a different browser page using a different login (google login just for the webpage not for 1 password), it wouldn't let me. So I figure easiest way is to create a NEW 1Password vault for myself. Well when it had me create a main password for that vault I think it wiped out my OLD main password. I can now only login to the NEW vault, I can not login to my MAIN vault where I am the administrator (or whatever verbiage is used). I was trying to use the two factor authentication that it asks for and it says its invalid. I did not reset the main password but it won't allow me to login without a 2 factor and when do enter the two factor it doesn't work. Can I do anything? ALL OF MY PASSWORDS are in this main vault, that I now can not get into. HELP I'm panicking over here.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: MAC 10.15.7 Catalina
Sync Type: Cloud I think and sync to phone

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @trlotlo! Welcome to the forum!

Well when it had me create a main password for that vault I think it wiped out my OLD main password.

Creating a new 1Password account does not touch any existing 1Password accounts or their Master Passwords. So unless you manually went and deleted your previous account, creating a new one does not wipe it ;)

I was trying to use the two factor authentication that it asks for and it says its invalid. I did not reset the main password but it won't allow me to login without a 2 factor and when do enter the two factor it doesn't work.

So the problem is not with your Master Password, but with your 2FA codes. The very first thing that is worth checking is if the time is the same on all of your devices. 2FA is very time-sensitive, so any drift in time on any of your devices could cause the authenticator codes to be rejected.

A good resource that makes it easy to check this is the following website:

https://time.is/

After making sure the time is the same on every one of your devices, your authenticator codes should be accepted.

• trlotlo
    trlotlo
    Community Member

While I appreciate all these answers none are helpful. I agree that 2FA codes could be the problem but I don't know what else to do. YES all the times are the same on my phone and MAC. The 2FA will not work at all on the MAIN account

• trlotlo
    trlotlo
    Community Member

OK I was able to go into my phone and turn off 2FA so now I can log in. I went in to add it back and when I try to scan the code next to my profile it says invalid code. So I guess I can not use it. Which I guess is ok since it caused issues anyway. Thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@trlotlo:

I went in to add it back and when I try to scan the code next to my profile it says invalid code.

Do you mean the Setup Code? If that's the one you are referring to, that's not the right code to enable 2FA for your account, so that is indeed an invalid code. You need to use the QR code for 2FA instead. This article has the instructions to do that:

Turn on two-factor authentication for your 1Password account

Make sure you indeed activate 2FA with the right code, or else all your 2FA codes you generate will be the wrong ones. Looking at your description, this might be the reason why they were not working for you.

This discussion has been closed.