Apple Watch unlock (Apple bug)

boberonicus
boberonicus
Community Member

This is not a 1Password problem, but I'm wondering what others have experienced. A recently found bug, described here prevents the use of the new 1Password Apple Watch unlock feature.

My Setup:
Apple Watch 6 [Watch OS 7.1]
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019) [MacOS Big Sur 11.0.1]
Safari Browser
1Password 7 [Version 7.7 (70700016)]

Recreate Problem
Under "System Preferences" / "Security and Privacy" / "General" tab:
When I check the "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac" I see the message below. I tried the 12 steps and a few other things listed in the thread I linked to, but no go. I take some solace in knowing that 923 people clicked "I'm having the same problem."

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @boberonicus!

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can see if there is anything we can do on the 1Password side of things.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• boberonicus
    boberonicus
    Community Member

Ticket Number: [#PTF-41239-439]

The diagnostic app icon deserves a design award. So fun!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the kind words :)

• boberonicus
    boberonicus
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Support sent me a friendly reply that reflects my perspective.

I appreciate the diagnostic, but this is unfortunately not something we will be able to help with. If your Mac is unable to communicate with your watch, which seems to be the case here, then that is something you will have to go ask Apple for help with as that is entirely a macOS/watchOS problem.

If you can get that sorted with Apple and still have problems getting it to work specifically with 1Password, please come back to us. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @boberonicus :+1:

• barryjsullivan
    barryjsullivan
    Community Member

I had this same issue with my new MacBook Air M1. I called Apple support today and what appears to have helped me is that I powered off my Apple Watch and restarted it and then powered off my MacBook Air and then restarted it. I was then able to setup my Apple Watch to unlock my MacBook Air. I then was able to setup 1Password to use my Apple Watch to unlock 1Password. I’ll give it a few days of testing to say the issue is solved.

• @barryjsullivan

Thank you. Hopefully, this may benefit someone else who is having trouble. Please do let us know how it goes.

• boberonicus
    boberonicus
    Community Member

The restarts didn't help me. I also tried the much more extensive procedure referenced in my first post. I'll give Apple Support a try and report back if things improve.

• @boberonicus

Please share anything you find, if it can be shared. :chuffed:

• boberonicus
    boberonicus
    Community Member

With help from Apple, this issue has been resolved. The fix was to unpair the watch, then re-sync it from backup. After that, I was able to select "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac." I just tested the associated 1Password feature, and it worked perfectly!

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020

@boberonicus

Sweet! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully, it will help anyone else who comes across this issue.

This discussion has been closed.